Thursday, April 9, 2009

Regrouping

I've really enjoyed having the kids home this week. Nina isn't on Spring break because her break was last week (different school district), but she skipped 2 of the 3 days anyway.

Just a couple weeks ago, it felt like the girls were really at each other more than normal and it was very upsetting to me. Sela had very little patience when she came home from school and it broke my heart because I knew how much Nina looks forward to her arrival. Nina is so excited to see her that she wants to tell her everything and just overwhelms her right from the start. Sela often asks for "peace and quiet" and Nina gets her feelings hurt. Then Nina becomes short with Rollin and it's all just a big downer. I know I didn't handle it well because nothing gets me more upset than when the kids are mean to each other. I need to show more patience, but really, sometimes I'm at a loss of how to help everyone get along.

But this week, everything is back to normal, actually much better. I think what Sela really needed was some downtime. She and Nina are total best buddies again. I have just loved watching them this week. They have spent every minute together and are treating each other like best friends. Laughing, playing, creating, and just enjoying one another.
























I talked to Sela today about how wonderful the week has been and how much I love the way she and Nina have been acting towards one another. She said she noticed a big difference too and said she was just so tired lately when she came home from school.

We also resolved, at least for now, the clothing issue that has been causing much unnecessary drama and tears in the mornings. Sela had narrowed her clothing choices down to two pairs of pants (one with holes), and old t-shirts with tourist type prints on them. Some mornings when she walks out I just cringe. She is so much about comfort. We went through her closet and put away things she won't wear and I decided to give up trying to convince her to. I took her shopping and we talked through every single purchase. The fabric. Is it comfortable? Soft enough? And she found some cute things for the warmer weather. I was able to steer her clear of decal t-shirts with sayings, thankfully. She still wants the sweatshirt that says "GAP" on the front, but I told her to wait till it goes on sale (hoping she'll forget).

This morning she woke up with a big smile on her face and said "Mom, it's easy to pick my clothes out now." She was a happy girl so the shopping trip with Rollin laying on the floor, kicking the dressing room doors, throwing down stacks of folded clothes, freaking out because I wouldn't buy him a dolphin sweatshirt, and trying to escape from every store we went to was worth it. He is never a great shopper, but man was he a gem on Tuesday! I kept trying to change his demeanor with hugs and snuggles to no avail. You know it's bad when even "lovey" can't mellow him out.

We tried taking a picture of "nice Rollin" but it didn't last. You can see it in his eyes!























In his defense, he was in desperate need of a nap and crashed as soon as we got home. He awoke a new little cheery man and Sela and I just couldn't help but laugh at the incredible transformation!

Tomorrow is Friday, and what looks to be our last nice day for the weekend. I think Easter is going to be wet. But the good weather this week has been a blessing. We've had fun being home and just taking it easy.

Now, how many weeks till summer break? I can't wait!

4 comments:

Susan said...

So sweet. I remember when I was nasty to my younger sister because of being tired. I need patience too. I think you're doing great...Super Mom

Trisha said...

It is good to know your kids dont get along sometimes either. Mine have a love/hate relationship. They always get along when they can get outside and run around though. Perrie is the same way with clothes- Arg! I think we are getting into the pre-teen years. Scary.

Amber Marie said...

My younger brother and I never got along growing up and now we are the closest out of everybody. It was a power struggle issue for us.

I'm glad the girls are having fun together. It makes me hope that Camilla and her next sibling can play together even though they will be....at least 3 1/2 years apart! crazy. Good luck steering Sela away from shirts with words hahaa. Camilla wants to wear her shirt with all the princesses on it that her grandma gave her all the TIME! We compromise by making it a bedtime shirt :)

We miss y'all!

Dee Ann said...

I didn't realize that Rollin's eye color is the same as yours or is it the camera?! Cute picture. Your cuddle bunny for sure!!