For the past few years, we've made mom's homemade doughnut recipe on General Conference Weekend. Not health food, but definitely a rare breakfast treat the kids enjoy tremendously! Mom always rolled out the dough and cut little doughnut holes and rings, but I just pinch off pieces and go for the more rustic (quick!) approach. They are very simple and oh so good!
4 ½ c. flour
¼ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. allspice
1 ½ tsp. soda
1 ½ tsp. cream of tartar
1 ½ tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 c. sugar
3 Tbs. shortening, melted (can use coconut oil or earth balance shortening)
1 cup buttermilk
Oil for deep frying
Sift together the flour, nutmeg, allspice, soda, cream of tartar and salt. Beat the eggs until thick and lemon-colored and gradually beat in the sugar. Add the melted shortening and buttermilk, then add the flour mixture. Mix well, chill and turn out of a well-floured board or pastry cloth. Roll to ¼ inch thick; cut with a floured cutter. Fry a few at a time in deep hot fat (375 degrees) for 3 minutes or until brown, first on one side and then on the other.
Pan Apple Pancakes
Erin spotted this pancake recipe on Mothering and we gave it a whirl. Another very fast breakfast perfect for a weekday. I will add more spices like cinnamon and nutmeg next time and sprinkle with chopped pecans or walnuts. Substituting spelt flour or another whole grain flour would be good too. But the recipe is very good as is.
Ingredients:
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons butter
3 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar
Powdered sugar for dusting
Maple syrup
Directions:
Combine the eggs, milk, flour, granulated sugar, and vanilla in a blender. Blend until smooth, and set aside. Melt the butter in a nonstick skillet that can later be placed in the oven. Then add the sliced apples and the brown sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about ten minutes or until the apples begin to turn a golden brown. Remove pan from heat. Pour the blended mixture over the apples in the pan, and move the pan to the oven. Immediately reduce the oven temperature to 425°F. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until the batter is browned and slightly raised. Once you remove the pan from the oven, dust with powdered sugar. Cut into wedges and serve with maple syrup.
4 comments:
I have wanted to make it every day since I saw it but I am saving it for Easter Sunday, John's birthday. I am very excited to try it and I'll remember to add more spices. I might serve it with lemon curd...mmm! (I am into anything lemon right now!)
oh, I must vouch for the doughnuts, they are heavenly! I've never had a doughnut with so much spice, very yum. Also, adding cinnamon to the powdered sugar really takes it up a notch.
Definitely trying those recipes. They look delicious!
ERIN! Me too...I love lemons...my preggo craving :)
Thanks for those recipes! They look so good Ashley!
Post a Comment