Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Bring on the Raspberry Tea!

Well, things have sure taken a turn for the worse this week.

Prior to Monday I was definitely feeling very pregnant, but I had lots of good, busy days followed by slower more low key days to recuperate. But on Monday Rollin dropped a big, full Pellegrino bottle on his foot and really hurt his toe. It is all blue and purple and swollen. He cried off and on all day in pain and I'm sure it was the throbbing that was killing him. I carried him a lot more than normal, and after a couple days of being baffled at why my body is now KILLING me, I think maybe lifting him in and out of the crib (his new preferred place to sleep) in my 8 or so attempts to try and get him to just rest may have something to do with the fact that I can't get out of bed now.

I am walking like a hunchback old lady when I do make the attempt.

I was so exhausted at my midwife appointment on Tuesday that I cried. Just saying the words "I'm absolutely exhausted" brought the tears. I felt silly, but sleep deprivation does some strange things! This is my fourth baby, and here I am crying :) Being exhausted from the flu when I had Rollin was very hard and I guess the experience hasn't totally left my memory. All I want is a little bit of energy for this birth.

Today Nina was gone all day at Miko's. They had a field trip to the Seattle Children's Theater and then she just went home to play with Kiera all day. Lots of people offered to take Rollin. But he didn't want to go anywhere and he has a little cold so I wasn't comfortable sending him. He was my little buddy all day while I laid in bed. He was so good and so sweet and kept me entertained with dinosaur fights and tricks and lots and lots of cuddling. He kept telling me all day long " I love you so, so much Mama!" He also said "This is the best day ever!" That made me feel better and definitely made me smile. He was enjoying the time together. And the thought occurred to me that if this is the best day ever, I may need to slow down and just be present a bit more.

Anyway, it was sure to be one of our last long days together before the baby comes and even though my body isn't cooperating, I feel it was a gift in many ways. I can't even express how much I adore my little Rollin.

I am going to try and see the chiropractor this week and get an adjustment before the baby comes. I guess that would mean I need to get in early Friday. I desperately want this baby to come on Friday, which Zig thinks is pretty funny. I sent him out for some special tea that I drank when I needed Sela to be born on a Saturday because of Zig's travel schedule. It worked then, although I know it probably had little to do with the tea. It was also her due date.

The reason I'm hoping for Friday is that my favorite midwife won't be on call again for ten days, and as much as I love her, I wouldn't want to be late just to have her. So, I thought I'd throw my hopes out to the universe and maybe I'll get lucky on Friday evening. It would need to be after mom arrives and after Zig gets back from the bay area. So around 6 pm . Early Saturday morning a new midwife is on, and though I like her, I really had my heart set on the other two. So Friday, early evening. That's all I'm asking. Let's hear it for getting specific!

And aside from feeling like a total cripple, nothing new is going on around here. The kids are making cereal and sandwiches an awful lot and I can't wait to be able to cook them a good meal sometime soon. Lots of hot baths that begin alone and end with one big body and three little ones and the jets on high. It's actually easier than bathing them all right now so it's all good.

And now I'm back to bed. Cross your fingers for Friday!

4 comments:

the Geoff Davis said...

Oh man, Ash. I've been wondering about you these past days that you haven't posted. I'm sorry that you aren't feeling well. I wish I could be there to take the kids and make you some meals. I'll start praying hard for your few-hour window Friday evening/night! Cute Rollin...that slow day with him was a gift. Miss you! Tell the kids we're going out for some pain au chocolate today (Geoff's mom and Nikki are in town!) and it isn't even Valentine's Day, just a Thursday in France!

Erin said...

Just get induced like the rest of the world ;) You have been in my prayers and I'll be sure to add "Friday at 6pm" to them! Let's hope you get some relief at the chiropractor. love you :(

Stacia said...

Praying for you. Glad your able to get off your feet a bit. Crossing my fingers he arrives on May day. Ellie turns 6 on the 2nd it's a good day too:)
Take care

Amber Marie said...

We will be praying for Friday night! And I hope the chiropracter can make you feel better, I know how those back problems are :)