
I love Easter. Without a doubt, this is my favorite time of the year and my favorite holiday by far. Easter, like all holidays, has become fairly commercialized, but I find much of it quite easy to ignore. The kids don't hope for big bounty from the Easter bunny and they find joy in all the simple activities of egg decorating, baking, celebrating with friends, and learning more about the real reason we celebrate Easter. In other words, there aren't huge expectations with Easter, and I feel like that gives me the freedom to make it what I want. And ultimately to enjoy it more.
The symbolism of a new beginning, a fresh start gives me hope to improve my own life, especially this year as it comes on the heels of a truly inspirational general conference. There are signs of new life everywhere from the budding flowers, to the baby animals, the air so sweet you can almost taste it, and in our own family the anticipation of a new little life we are anxious to embrace in just a few weeks.
I really love coming up with an Easter menu. Someday I may settle on one traditional menu we go back to every year, but for now I love to come up something new and different each year. I had lots of ideas but finally solidified the menu on Friday night. I had just received a wonderful CSA box so that provided lots of inspiration. I did as much prep as I possibly could on Saturday so Sunday would be relaxing.
And it was, for the most part. Everything was wonderful, especially dinner, which included all new recipes I had been eyeing but never tried. The salmon was incredibly moist and flavorful. The carrot soup was AMAZING. Everyone loved it and Rollin had several servings. I will have to post that recipe soon. It's definitely a keeper. And I'm glad because I had a total kitchen disaster on Saturday evening as I was preparing it. I poured everything in the blender to puree and put the lid on. I didn't hold the lid down and there was so much steam that it blew off and spewed carrot stuff all over the kitchen in lots of hard to reach places (Vita-Mixes are some powerful machines!). Not fun clean-up! And then later while I was simmering it, my shirt caught on fire. I guess I am still rather unaware of my belly! It was worth it though. I now have my "go-to" carrot soup and I've tried several. Twas a small price to pay.
Breakfast: Zucchini Ginger Muffins, greek yogurt, mangos

Lunch: Curried Egg Salad on Croissants, strawberries

Dinner: Carrot Soup with Ginger and Lemon, Spring Panzanella, Slow Roasted Salmon with Spring Herb Sauce

2 comments:
Yum! That is a delicious menu! Will you post your muffin recipe? And only a few weeks until the baby arrives! I can't wait!
What a deliciously healthy and vibrant looking meal. If the taste was as good as the presentation, I think it deserved an A+!!!!
Post a Comment