Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It's always the mom's dog.....

Dog training is what they call it, but after my first session with Melissa of Mountain High Dog Training, I realized it is I who is being trained. And not only that, it is I who will now have to spend three daily sessions outside with Kona doing "exercises" to get this horse, I mean dog, used to being around the kids. Oh, the joy.

I purposely made a point to leave the dog selection up to Zig and Sela so I would have little responsibility in the caring for of the dog. It sounds harsh but it's no secret I'm not a huge animal lover. I like them, but a lover of dogs I am not. I think it has a lot do with my stage of life right now. With three little kids to worry about (and my sweet unborn sapping all my energy), I wasn't looking to add another to the "needy" group. But Zig and Sela do genuinely love dogs, so I thought that would be enough. Zig still loves Kona despite his current hobbies which include chewing up every single hose in the yard, teething on the exterior of our house, spreading trash all over the free world, and destroying packages left by UPS. That's devotion.

I like the security of having a dog and I love to see him sleeping on the front porch. He seems so sweet when he is asleep. And he really is a beautiful dog. I do know my limits though, and my idea of caring for the dog was saying "hi", petting him when he doesn't reek, throwing stuff to him on occasion and some walks. Oh, and I don't mind picking up the dog food at the store. However, now that I am being bulldozed each day as I walk to my car, and the kids won't go outside without me if Kona is out, I am having to re-examine my commitment to our 120 pound "puppy".

Apparently, the dog thinks the kids and I are a novelty because we don't give him enough play, stimulus, mental exercise, etc. So he plows us over with love at every encounter. I thought five acres to roam and chase bunnies, chickens and squirrels was plenty of exercise. Apparently I have to become a much bigger part of the equation.

The first thing Melissa wanted us to consider was letting Kona be an inside dog. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! She immediately knew from the look on my face that this was clearly not an option. He has a great little house, but she told us that dogs are pack animals and need a pack. And the pack is me and the kids.

I actually do have a soft spot for Kona and for the family's sake, I want him to work out and be the family dog the kids were hoping for. I know he is a puppy and very exuberant. I know all dogs, large or small, are a huge pain at times when they are puppies. Eric has new little dog and it's tearing their house apart and becoming a huge headache. They are headed to the trainer as well.

Anyway, Melissa was excellent. Kona was obedient and teachable and it was very obvious that with a little work, he will be fantastic and very maneageable. She said Kongals are great family dogs, and that he has wonderful temperament. She thinks by summer at the latest, he will be a different dog. Our goal is four paws on the ground at all times. I have four activities to do each day and they have already worked. I went to the Whole Foods of dog food and got him some treats for rewards. My hands smell just lovely. And spray bottles for my secret "I am the alpha here" weapon (just water). Kona is fetching, sitting, and responding to our cues. Sela literally squealed as I told her about our session with Melissa. She wants so badly for Kona to be the kind of dog that just follows her around and is her buddy. She was elated to learn he fetched and dropped the object. And I know she really wants me to like Kona and come up with a new nickname other than "stupid dog."

So, it's a good start. Kona and I bonded, even though it was forced on me by the trainer. Now I have have another individual's needs to think about everyday and in some ways, though I hate to admit it, it's actually a fun challenge. And I thought this was Zig's dog.......

5 comments:

Dee Ann said...

Ohhh my goodness!!! Need I say more?!

Amber Marie said...

You are such a great mom. So is Kona in the HOUSE?!?! My mom said she would pay for their dog to be shipped to Texas to live with us...I have to say I am actually considering it since Camilla loves the dog so much!

Erin said...

good luck! I don't envy you ;) Just get that baby trained and hopefully he will be your dream dog!

Stacia said...

We started puppy class with Honey in Woodinville last night and we quickly realized it's not puppy class it's human training. Our pack is a little out of wack right now. Good luck...

the Geoff Davis said...

I'm chuckling right now...knowingly...

Glad you are home...we've missed keeping up on you guys!