Monday, January 26, 2009

Child Labor

We have tried several approaches to getting the kids to do better on their chores. They do well about half the time and are pretty pathetic the other half. This weekend I decided to write all the extra Saturday chores on a sheet of paper and let them initial and cross them off when they did them. And WOW! They got busy. Even Rollin was asking for more jobs so he could cross them off. After they finished everything, I took them to rent a movie. They worked hard and really appreciated their reward. I don't think they've ever been in a blockbuster so they were pretty surprised at all the movies!

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Great idea Ashley! My kids are such bums about cleaning, they will do it but with MUCH grumbling. I will have to give that a try! I will also have to tell my MIL about your BFF, the Roomba, she'd love it! And I have to say how much I love your egg story! Sneaky, sweet chickens! I wish we were neighbors so I could get on Sela and Nina's delivery list!

Erin said...

"crossing off" totally speaks to me. that is probably why i make lists everyday...the satisfaction of crossing something off can be the best part of my day sometimes!

Dee Ann said...

Your idea must have been inspired - it worked!! Keep up the innovative ideas and crack the whip! Sure!

Amber Marie said...

nice. sounds like it is time for a chore chart! i love those things. i even made them for my roommates in college...didn't always go over so well, but we are all still friends :)