Monday, January 19, 2009

Nina's long awaited FRIEND PARTY!

Nina had her long awaited "friend party" today. Her birthday is on December 28th, not a very convenient time for parties. She has always had very fun family parties and has the good fortune of usually being surrounded by extended family on her birthday. But Nina is a little social butterfly and this year a party with friends is something she was desperately looking forward to.

We decided to have a tea party. Tea parties are such fun! The food is dainty and tidy, and of course, pretty. We made everything small and bite sized. We cut the peanut butter and honey sandwiches out of our smallest flower cookie cutter. We made some little turkey ones as well. One of Nina's best little buddies has some pretty serious food allergies so we bought some cupcakes from our health food store that we knew she could have. They are super yummy too. The rest of our menu included tea cookies, ginger cookies, carrots, and pirate's booty. And mints. And mini meringues. I think that's all :)

Sela helped out a ton with this party. She and I did most of the prep work together. We painted the picture frames that the girls would decorate on Sunday night when Nina was sleeping. Then Sela devised a photo scavenger hunt in the house which turned out to be a huge hit. It ended with the girls finding a big treasure box full of stickers (a shoe box Sela had decorated). The girls loved it! They decorated their frames and I printed off the pictures I had taken when they arrived so they were able to take their picture frames home with a picture of themselves and Nina. The girls are all so adorable and very kind to each other. We had so much fun focusing on Nina and making her day special. The party was so simple and low key that I think I had as much fun as they did!

Finally, and best of all, it was a sunny day. Full sun beaming in through all the windows. So after we finished up inside everyone headed outside to chase the chickens and swing.

Happy Birthday, Nina!


















4 comments:

Amber Marie said...

What a fun birthday party! Looks like Nina has a very special day. On the airplane there was an article about all the holidays the US celebrates- did you know there is a Middle Day? It is to celebrate the middle child in every family :) I think it is in March. I thought of Nina when I saw that.

love the pictures of your house. I had never seen that room. Those couches are Ryan and my favorite!!

Colleen said...

What a lovely, girly party! I need to throw one of those for myself one of these years, just so I can have some pretty food!

Dee Ann said...

Yea Nina!! What an exciting day for you. Granny is soooo happy that you had a special day with all of your most favorite little princesses. You are such a sweet, unique, special and fun conversationalist. I love you just sit and talk with you and try to figure out how your little mind operates. You are a dear and I love you, Happy Day! Gran

the Geoff Davis said...

Happy birthday to Nina! I told the girls about her party and they all were silent, imagining themselves dancing and playing with your girls, eating your yummy goodies, and celebrating one of their favorite friends. And we couldn't believe she is FIVE! She looks so grown up, so beautiful! We miss you guys!