Everytime we do something simple like take a walk together, I realize being in nature on almost any terms is joyful and can lift my spirits in an instant.
Last night Zig came home around 7 and and asked if we wanted to go on a walk. I had been thinking the same thing for the past couple of hours because the rain had let up. There was no sun, but the air is still sweet and wonderful after a rain. I often forget that.
So we bundled up (I know, it's June!) and headed out. I told the kids to try and find as many colors as they could as we walked. It turned into a little treasure hunt and at the end they were amazed that they had found so many differnet colors...red, orange, yellow, more than a dozen shades of green, lavendar, periwinkle, black, brown and pink. Sela was so surprised and said, "if you just look at the side of the road, you mostly just see green, but there are so many colors in there!"
Of course I was the lucky one who had pockets brimming full of all of their findings as we headed back home. I'll have to try and remember to remove them before washing my coat :) On our way home, we found a trail that took us on a 20 minute walk through a forest. Nina was our fearless leader and about five minutes into the trail, the mud beneath our feet became deep and wet. Sela was very upset about her school shoes getting muddy, but I assured her we would wash them.
The great thing about a 2 hour walk is when I walked into the house I said "Rollie, are you ready for bed?" He replied, "Yes, Mommy, need wuvy." Now that's joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment