Sunday, July 13, 2008

Strawberry-Raspberry Shortcake

Brunch is often our special meal on Sundays. Sometimes dinner, but usually I'm pretty tired on Sunday afternoon and opt for something simple. We picked a big bowl of raspberries yesterday. I outpaced Rollin's eating with my picking and we actually netted quite a few to use on our shortcakes. I had to work fast as he just follows behind me grabbing handfuls out of the bowl. While picking, I found a birds nest in the raspberry bushes with a little robin's egg inside. Very delicate and sweet.

I couldn't find the shortcake recipe I usually use, which turned out to be a good thing, because I tried a new recipe I ended up liking even better. The new recipe uses yogurt and whole wheat pastry flour. The recipe has a drop biscuit variation which I used because I like rustic looking (and quick!) so there was no rolling and cutting. It was fun to surprise the kids with strawberry shortcake and watch their eyes light up!









1 comment:

Dee Ann said...

Yummie!! Has the Mama bird come back to her nest since she has been found?