
Admittedly, there are still some exhausting days with Rollin. But oh my goodness, I would be so happy if time would stand still with my sweet boy at this moment. He is still fiercely independent, but he is also full of love and tenderness. Now that he can express himself so well, I find myself wanting to soak up every word he says. He is most happy if he is working with me on a project and if he has a specific task. Once given a job, he doesn't like help, at all.
When Zig is around, he will work outside with him for hours. "I can do it" is his favorite phrase. He is a bundle of energy for sure, but I love having the energy and sweetness of little people around. I've thought about this a lot lately. There have been moments over the past few years where I 've felt overwhelmed with demands of having small children. I've been told and I've certainly experienced how fast and fleeting the early childhood years are. I've let some things slide for a time to enjoy life and each day for what it is, be more present, and not care if the house is in perfect order. It never is. In certain moments I have looked at my friends who have older children with kind of a "there's a light at the end of the tunnel" feeling, yet deep inside I know I will miss these days like crazy. Yes there are constant demands on my time, attention, body, etc, but there is a simpleness and innocence in our home right now that I wouldn't trade for anything.
The kids are so easily entertained and their imaginations are full of ideas and flourishing with creativity. I'm really having fun with them. Sela just made a bow and arrow the other day and it actually worked. We were both so excited! Right now the kids are happy to make cookies, paint, and play outside. They are content being home. This will not last forever. Rollin won't want to be my snuggle bunny for too much longer and Nina's precious little mousy voice with the lisp will certainly change. Sela has really grown up so much this year that I really wish I had a pause button. I know there is so much to look forward to and it will be so exciting to watch Sela, Nina, and Rollin become the people they were meant to be, but for now, I love making cookies and pushing them in the swing.
3 comments:
Amen! This has absolutely been the best time in my life. I have had many of those same thoughts since Jude came into our lives.
In fact, I was just telling Mom yesterday how I am just craving another one! Don't have a cow...I'll wait for a while longer!
You are an inspiration. Thank you!
If the picture didn't tell it all, your words sure did. Lucky children - where love is, children flourish like weeds!! Hence, the irony!!
Post a Comment