Sunday, May 4, 2008

the boy

It's been a hard and physically demanding past year just keeping Rollin safe and alive and our house somewhat intact but also so much fun! He is just the most amazing little guy and we all just adore him. In one moment he's fiercely independent doing all kinds of crazy things I never fathomed two year olds would even attempt. He tries to dress himself, puts his own shoes on, climbs fences, gets his own food, brushes his teeth puts himself both in and out of the bathtub/highchair, and the list goes on. He does many other things that terrify me (running half a mile to a busy road and getting picked up by a nice stranger while mommy died a thousand times inside). Then there is this tender side of him that just melts my heart. He is always ready for a good cuddle, hug or a big kiss for mommy. A couple of nights ago I just laid down with him instead of putting him in his bed (I think I was too tired) and he fell asleep in our bed. I woke up to him singing in his sleep in the middle of the night "twinkle twinkle little star." That is a sound I hope to fix in my memory forever. I just thought "this is it, these are the little gifts from above that make being a mother so amazing." Heaven is near. Yesterday, a similar thing happened, I heard him humming "I am a child of God" to himself as he fell asleep for his nap. He wasn't saying the words (he had his fingers in his mouth) but he didn't miss a note. I just stood by his door and smiled and felt such a deep sense of gratitude that I get to witness these sweet moments on a daily basis. I am truly blessed.

3 comments:

Dee Ann said...

He truly is bigger than life!! We have had too many scares for one month - Amber and then Rollin. I thank Heavenly Father every night for yet another day of life with all my loved ones here!! Tell Rollin that Granny loves him!!

Amber Marie said...

such a cutey! these kinds of posts of yours always bring tears to my eyes. i wear "our" hoodie weekly to remember our fun time together :)

Erin said...

he is one of a kind! it's a great time, I might just pull an Ann Mecham! I can't imagine not having little ones around :(