Sunday, February 7, 2010

peanut butter + chocolate= heaven

Oh me, oh my. I was asked to bring brownies to a neighborhood party. Brownies aren't too exciting and when you're only bringing one thing, you want it to be good! At least I do. So I searched high and low and found a brownie recipe that I can only liken to a very adult version of a Reece's peanut butter cup. I had to make a late night run for some ingredients, and the whole time I kept thinking, these BETTER be worth it. I hate nothing more than going to lots of trouble for a recipe that is just okay, or worse, doesn't turn out.

But these are amazing. If you like peanut butter and dark chocolate, which I do.

Photobucket

There are a few steps, yet they are super simple. Not as easy as a box brownie (ick!), however, they are much easier than a glimpse of the finished product would lead you to believe.

These are not healthy by any stretch. There are no hidden beans and not a hint of a whole grain. They are a treat, an indulgence if you will. Don't make them for your family or you will not be able to stop eating them yourself. You must take them somewhere.

One great tip I learned with this recipe is to line the pan with foil and butter it. By doing this, I was able to remove all the brownies and cut them into pretty squares rather than trying to dig them out with a spatula. Plus, one less pan to wash!

So, without further adieu, here is the recipe. Oh and everywhere it gives the option of semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, I used bittersweet. The darker the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Enjoy and you can thank me later!!!

Peanut Butter and Fudge Brownies with Salted Peanuts
Bon Appétit January 2007

Peanut-studded brownies, peanut butter frosting, chocolate ganache...what better way to savor the PB-chocolate combo?

Yield: Makes 30 brownies


Brownies
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
7 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup roasted salted peanuts, coarsely chopped

Frosting and ganache
1 cup chunky peanut butter (do not use natural or old-fashioned)*
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided, room temperature
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

7 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped


For brownies:

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 325°F. Line 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan with foil, leaving long overhang; butter foil.

Place 3/4 cup butter in heavy large saucepan. Add both chocolates; stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat. Whisk in sugar, vanilla, and salt, then eggs, 1 at a time. Fold in flour, then nuts. Spread in prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Place pan on rack; cool.


For frosting and ganache:

Using electric mixer, beat peanut butter and 1/4 cup butter in medium bowl to blend. Beat in powdered sugar, salt, and nutmeg, then milk and vanilla. Spread frosting over brownies.

Stir chocolate and 1/4 cup butter in heavy small saucepan over low heat until smooth. Drop ganache all over frosting; spread to cover. Chill until set, about 1 1/2 hours. Do ahead Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep chilled.

Using foil as aid, transfer brownie cake to work surface; cut into squares. Bring to room temperature; serve.


*When the recipe says not "natural" peanut butter, I think it means not Adams brand. I still used organic crunchy, but had to add a little bit more milk to make it the right consistency. *

4 comments:

Amber Marie said...

you have no idea how much satisfaction i feel from seeing you post a dessert recipe, that is totally just dessert!! :)

those look sooooo good. we'll have to try them soon, maybe for valentines day!

Erin said...

pb and chocolate are my favorite!! Can't wait!

Dee Ann said...

sinful!!

Colleen said...

Those look and sound DELISH! I'll definitely have to give them a try.