Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Black Bean and Yam Quesadillas

At Birgette's cooking class last week, she made a super simple black bean/yam recipe. I'm a sucker for black beans and yams. Prep time was less than 15 minutes (IF you have a food processor) and these tasted great. Nothing fancy, but a super nutritional profile. Birgette says kale is her favorite food, so we are kindred spirits in that regard. When we had so much of it in the garden that we were eating it every morning for breakfast with our eggs, my skin looked the best it ever has. Anyway, in the class she used Ezekiel Tortillas and those are extremely hearty, but so good for you. I wondered if the kids would eat them. I figured later I could use just regular whole wheat or spelt, but went ahead with the ezekiel tortillas and surprisingly, no one complained. The creme fraiche inside and the salsa on the outside softens them enough that they aren't tough. They were just right. I wish Zig were here to try them. I know he would be stoked about these guys. Super awesome leftovers the next day! This is a keeper!

Black Bean and Yam Quesadillas
1 yam grated (2 cups)
2 medium carrots, grated
1 small onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powser
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 bunch of kale or other dark leafy greens, finely chopped
1/2 cup creme fraiche or sour creme
4 sprouted grain tortillas
16 ounce can black beans
8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup salsa

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a skillet, saute the yam, carrots and onion in the olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add the spices and continue to saute for anotehr 5 minutes. Add the greens, cover and saute for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat.

Spread creme fraiche on each tortilla. On one half of the tortilla sprihnkle one fourth of the sauteed vegetables and beans. Top with cheese and fold. Spread the salsa evenly on top of hte tortillas before baking. Place ona baking tray lined iwth parchment paper and bake for about 20 minutes.

Serve hot or cold.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

2 comments:

Erin said...

Will be making these soon :)

Dee Ann said...

Yum!! Sounds great!