Monday, March 10, 2008

Things always get better....

I have come to believe that whenever I have a bad day as a mom, the next day is almost always better and brighter. Today was kind of one of those days. I had so much to do and so many needs from the little people. I didn't get much done. Dinner took me so long because the kids were bickering with one another and on and on. I get really discouraged when there is fighting or negativity at home. I don't handle it well myself, and I then get irritated and impatient. Anyway, I tried playing fun music which helped change the mood a bit and engaging Rollin in his own little art session away from the girls (because according to them, he wrecks everything.)

Another thing that stressed me out is that even though the weather was overcast, the sun broke a few times and I knew I needed to get outside for fresh air with the kids, and I didn't. I kept cleaning and doing whatever other things that will surely be messed up again tomorrow.

Then things began to turn around. A little bundle showed up on the doorstep from Erin and Mom with such a fun birthday present. Three adorable shirts and some super cute shoes. I'm embarassed to say, but yes, shoes can sure make a bad day into a really good one. Especially these shoes. Mom also sent these adorable felt easter baskets for the kids which cheered them quite a bit. Then I told them we were going outside to the green house for Family Home Evening. They were definitely excited about about the change of venue. They have a teepee in the green house with a pretend fire underneath (logs).

We headed across the yard in the rain and had a quick little FHE. We talked about being humble. From the very start, Sela had been asking me to write down everything we did. For example, we sang a song. Then she said "Mom, can you write the name of the song down." We read a scripture in Matthew. Same thing, Mom write it down. I was starting to get a little bit bothered at having to stop and write every single thing down. I finally said, "Sela, why do I have to write this all down? I have it right in front of me. You can see it later." Then she said, "Mom, I'm making this little book of ideas so I can do these same things someday with my kids." My heart sank in one moment and smiled in the next. I am surely the one who had a lesson in humility this evening.



3 comments:

Amber Marie said...

That story about Sela wanting you to write everything down brought tears to my eyes. What a sweet moment. FHE outside in a teepee, cool!! :)

Dee Ann said...

Tears as well. Isn't it interesting that you had an unexpected real live roll play on humility!! Out of the mouths of babes. Their motives, even when exhausting to us, are pure and I can't say the same about adults. The Savior's admonition to "become as little children" has a lot of merit. Love to all, MOM

Susan said...

SHe's is so cute! Sela...I got goosebumps.

Shoe's are great! Isn't it funny how our children can teach us the greatest lessons??

Cleaning always seems like a waste of time for me! It gets back to the same thing the next day. I can't imagine with three kids! I'm going to go crazy. How do you do it??!!!