Saturday, March 1, 2008

Boys Saturday vs. Girls Saturday

We spent the morning together today and then Zig took Rollin out for some "manly" errands. They went to Molbaks, the bike store, the snowmobile store, out for a haircut and to lunch. Zig said Rollin had a blast and he was beaming when he walked in the door. The girls and I went to a Japanese Girls Day party at the home of some good friends. The girls thoroughly enjoyed celebrating Japanese Girl's Day with Miko, Kendall, Kyra and Liam, and quite a few other young guests. Each year Miko hosts a little "girl" party with authentic Japanese food (and goodies), delightful games and crafts for the girls, and the opportunity to dress up in kimonos and learn about the doll collection she has which has been passed down from her mother and grandmother.

I had never heard of Japanese Girl's Day until we met Miko and her family through preschool. She also lives in our old neighborhood. Anyway, March 3rd is Japanese Girl's Day, also called hina-matsuri (Japanese doll festival.) It's a celebration for Japanese girls. People display a very special set of dolls and props in the house, wishing girls' healthy growth and happiness. The dolls are dressed in Japanese ancient costumes and are displayed on the shelves of a stand covered with a red carpet.

After the party...we ended up staying for three hours, I could tell Nina was much too tired for the rest of the errands I had planned. I have never accomplished all I have on my list for Saturdays...not ever. So no big deal. I was tired as well, from who knows what...maybe staying up late Friday night. We had such a wonderful night out (first in quite some time) getting together with four other couples for dinner. The huge greek feast was wonderful, but the company was even better. We typically don't do this when we do these couples dinners, but after a few minutes, we just moved the guys to one end and the girls to another so we could make up for lost time. So it was a totally segregated night of gabbing, but so much fun. Darcie and Geoff organize these dinners periodically, and it had been several months and long overdue. Good times.


No comments: