These little cookies are a forgotton favorite. I made them a lot when I first got the recipe several years ago and here and there since, but we've definitely been on a thumbprint cookie kick lately. I love this recipe because it's made with whole grains and almonds and it has a very small amount of sweetener. It can be changed by using different flours, juice, nuts, and jam. The better the jam, the better the cookie. We love to have tea parties around here and they are the perfect little cookie for a warm cup of herb tea (Madagascar Vanilla Bean is our current favorite). Yum.
Apricot Thumbprint Cookies
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup almonds (ground into 1/2 cup meal)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold pressed vegetable oil, or melted butter
1/3 cup apricot juice (I've used apple and orange juice)
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla
Apricot preserves (or strawberry, peach, etc)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix oil, juice, syrup, and extracts together. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well. Form dough into balls and flatten to make circles. Place on cookie sheet. Indent cookies with your thumb or your child's thumb and put 1/2 tsp preserves in the imprint. Bake 15 minutes or until edges turn golden.
(Feeding the Whole Family, by Cynthia Lair)
No comments:
Post a Comment