Monday, August 3, 2009

It's official

We set a record in Seattle for the hottest day ever, I think. 103 degrees. But it was 105 here in Woodinville! Not even a hint of a breeze. And hovering near the 100 degree mark for several days. The funny thing about this part of the country is most people don't have A/C. Both of our previous homes in this area actually did have A/C and we used it for a couple of weeks in the summer, but I always thought, no biggie, I could take it or leave it. I love to have every single window in the house open and so I rarely turned the thing on. But this week was something different. It was stifling and still and muggy. And the worst part is, there was no cooling down in the evening. There were lines everywhere for fans and the like, so I didn't even try.


We didn't wear many clothes this week. see the little beads of sweat on Nina's face?

Evan had the hardest time with the heat. His extra insulation didn't work out too well for him. Poor baby.
Not too much laundry this week...bathing suits and underwear. I guess there was a lone bright spot!


There was no blogging last week because all I would have written would have been:

We are sweating.
It is 99 degrees inside our house.
Evan is crying.
Evan is crying.
Evan is crying.
We are hot.
We are sweating.
We have no fan.
We are swimming.
We are eating out.
Rollin, Evan and I go to a restaurant to escape the heat while the girls are having sleepovers.
Apparently everyone else had the same idea.
We had to eat outside or wait an hour.
Did I mention I had Rollin with me?
We ate outside.
Evan fussed.
It took an hour to get a grilled cheese and a salad.
I was sweating even more because I had to swing that dang carseat for half an hour to keep Evan from crying.
I think to myself many, many times how I could not have been a pioneer.
We are going to stores for A/C.
We are eating popcicles by the dozens.
We are swimming.
We discover all our chocolate chips have melted into big globs.
Glad I stocked up on those last week.
Somehow Juan acquired a fan.
I wanted to cry when he brought it to the door.
Juan is a good man.
Kids are arguing.
Kids are hot.
Kids are fighing.
Kids are tired.
No one can nap.
We made a white trash slip-n-slide with painters plastic.
The BLACK plastic was burning up in no time.
There were bumps under the tarp.
The kids were crying again.
They didn't like the bumps.
The slip-n-slide wasn't all they had "dreamed."
More swimming.
At the neighbors.
Beach.
Went running.
Didn't go far.
Don't want to be skinny that bad!
I escaped with Evan to the Nordstrom sale.
Left the kids here to roast with Andrea.
Felt kind of guilty.
But they were in a movie for most of the afternoon.
And at Jamba Juice.
Looked for a bathing suit at Bellevue Square.
Felt oh so much worse than I did when I was melting in my house.
Maybe I should have kept running.
Bought mineral makeup and sunscreen instead.
Came home.
Checked the forecast 500 times.
Five people sleeping in the basement.
Wondering why in the frickity frack we didn't got to a hotel.
Four on a blow-up bed that lost air throughout the night.
One on a toddler mattress.
With one tiny fan.
But we were cool, finally.
Life is good.
Zig nice and cool in San Franciso trying to empathize but has no idea. It's one of those "you just had to be there situations."
Another movie.
And then finally some relief.
Thank goodness!
I'm NOT one to ever complain about the sun, but uh, this week was killer.

Today we are sunny, temperatures in the 70's and I'm loving life again.

7 comments:

Erin said...

Reminds me of our heat wave last summer when our rental's AC conveniently stopped working during it all. I put the kids to bed soaking wet and would wake up in the night to spritz them and myself. It was horrible. I have no idea how Mom survived Texas summers without A/C.

...My thoughts exactly on being a pioneer! I always think I would have gladly just laid down and died!

So glad you are all doing better :)

Amber Marie said...

I would hardly believe you grew up in the valley by that list! I can't imagine being that hot that long though. my goodness. and I have said many, many times that had I been a pioneer I would have buried myself after the first several miles. no lie.

I'm glad it has cooled down for you. Maybe you can put in an AC unit or a pool...?! I don't know how you handled all that and without a husband too! Super. Woman!

As for photobucket. it is 100x faster for me. My blogger thing or it's my computer, I don't know, takes a long time to upload photos. When I use photobucket i can upload a lot at the same time and then it just gives you the code to copy and paste onto your post. super easy.

let's all pray that your mild weather is here to stay and that it will blow down this way :)

Colleen said...

So funny! I am glad you guys survived. That heat would have been killer. I think I would have gotten in the tub filled with cool water any time I had to nurse just to handle having the hot sweaty poor sweet baby snuggled that close!

Stacia said...

I was right there with you - the crying baby. Yah we're going to look into AC this fall. Of cource if we get it we'll have record cold summers for the next 3:)

Dee Ann said...

Honestly, if I didn't know better, I would think all of the kids were on the verge of heat strokes!! They look lifeless and dead to the world!! I am sure you all thought death was similar to what you were experiencing!! Next time, it has to be the motel or invest in some kind of cooler before the next heat wave hits. 95 inside the house - eek!! I could not have slept a wink and I'm sure no rest made things even that more unbearable. I am so thankful it is over. If I had seen those pictures during the ordeal, I would have definitely pushed a little harder for the fan, air cooler and motel!!! Hopefully, that never happens again!!

the Geoff Davis said...

Every single summer in Washington I swore I would put in an AC...every SINGLE summer. But then we thought we wouldn't have those temperatures again. But then they came. We would go to your old houses with AC, remember? Dreadful.

Susan said...

I love this post. I would totally hate not having A/C! I would honestly die.