Sunday, July 26, 2009

garden goodies

We've had some very dry, hot weather over the past few weeks and while the grass in our yard is now brown and crispy, the garden has exploded. This week we picked lettuce, kale, carrots, beets, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, fennel, cilantro, basil, orange cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas, and a bazillion plums! Mom, I wish you were here!

I got a huge kick out of watching the kids pull dozens of carrots and beets out of the ground. It was like a treasure hunt to see who could find the most oddly shaped carrots. Sela said "Mom, you don't get cool carrots like these at the store!" I love it and I love this stage of life where the kids are so easily entertained. It's hectic in a few ways, but quite simple in others.












4 comments:

the Geoff Davis said...

I'm so jealous of all that fresh garden produce, and my girls are jealous, too. I showed them Pheobe Gavin and they said, "It's no fair! They have chickens, a bunny, a dog, a guinea pig, and a little brother!"

Erin said...

Heaven :) Happy eating!

Colleen said...

So true, hectic yet simple. I like that! What a harvest! I loved eating your raspberries, I wish I was there for this bounty!

Colleen said...

So much I've missed away from blogland and Serafin world! Those pictures of Rollin asleep after picking raspberries are priceless! And Evan's chub! So kissable! You are a total mush, but I am sure Princess Glovin will be easier than a dog...I hope! And yummy looking recipes all. That cake looks mighty familiar...might it be the same one you made for us gals? Yum!