Tuesday, August 25, 2009

They're Back!

Photobucket

Darcie, Geoff and the girls are back from France and we just could not miss an opportunity to catch up with them at Geoff's parent's home in Auburn, CA. Even if that meant traveling alone with four children. It was totally worth it and not a bad flight at all. Zig went to the airport with us which was helpful but we split at the curb as he had to catch his flight to San Jose a bit earlier than ours.

We were escorted to the front of the security line because I believe they thought I was as good as handicapped hauling four little ones through the airport. We were misdirected to the wrong terminal and I even asked several different gate agents to verify where we should be when things didn't appear right on our tickets. Only when we tried to board another flight to Sacramento did someone finally tell us we were at the wrong terminal, which I suspected all along but kept being told no. Fifteen minutes till the plane departed and I was in the wrong terminal with all four kids. I almost cried when I looked at the time. Here we had been there an hour early (rare for the serafins!), and I had asked two gate agents to look at the tickets, and now we were most certainly going to miss our flight. But anyway, I decided we might as well try. We ran our very fastest through the airport. I told Sela to lag back with Rollin and just keep running. He was crying (they were all exhausted), but I made it to the gate as they were closing up. However, we were flying Southwest this time where there are no assigned seats....and the plane was nearly full.

Never fear though, those Southwest people always have a sense of humor! Over the loud speaker the flight attendant announces that a woman with four small children is coming on and would anyone like to move seats so she can sit by her children. I can just see the eyes roll. And then we entered the plane. I wanted to crawl in, really. Everyone was looking up because it was time to takeoff. But people were kind and smiled at us. And by the time we made it to the back of the plane there was an entire row open and one side seat across the isle for Sela. People were so nice. I was sweating from my sprint and the kind flight attendant brought us all water before takeoff. We had a smooth quick flight and the kids did swell.

Unfortunately, because Evan and I were totally off of our nursing schedule and he had slept from the moment we left the house till we were on the plane, he missed his usually feeding. I felt my milk let down a few times, each time he was asleep, and I was not in a position to nurse him. Unfortunately, when I got to Darcie's I was feeling feverish and had an enormous headache. Then all the other symptoms of mastitis. Shocking how fast it came on, but it's brutal. I took some natural remedies Darcie had and tried to rest. I looked hammered and felt it too! After about a day and a half though, I was on the mend.

It was so much fun to see them, and I was sick that I felt sick at first! The kids literally did not miss a beat and picked up right where they left off a year ago. By the time we left, they were almost like siblings again :) Darcie and I had lots of time to visit which was so wonderful. Geoff took one for the team and camped out with the girls allowing Darcie and I a peaceful night's sleep. Don't feel too bad for him though, he had his plethora of down pillows, his temperapedic mattress and a room in the tent all to himself ;) The man knows how to camp!

Photobucket
Geoff sooo happy thinking about the night ahead!!

Darcie cooked yummy meals from the garden and I learned a new method for making the most scrumptious rice and kid-friendly ratatouille. The kids loved being able to pick fresh juicy peaches, grapes, and asian pears from the trees. They had a fun little stream running through the property and a pond with a paddle boat. Rollin tried to make an extreme sport out of tricycle riding and had fun with Kipper, the happiest dog in the world, judging by his tail wagging!

The days flew by, as I knew they would and I would have loved more time to visit. We sure miss these guys!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Hauling the blankets down for the campout

Photobucket
These girls love to pretend to read!

Photobucket Evan in all his chubby glory!

Photobucket
Camping with Kipper


Photobucket
Precious little Ceci
Photobucket
Campfire
Photobucket

How many kids can you fit in a paddle boat?

3 comments:

Dee Ann said...

It looks like you all had a ball. True friends are priceless and add meaning to our lives. How I pray Geoff gets better soon. Darcie and the girls look beautiful as always! I, too, miss them!! Pretty special people!!

Shenise said...

Oh good! I was beginning to worry about you. I kept checking your blog and thought it was odd you hadn't posted in a few days. If you hadn't posted by this morning, I was planning on calling to check up on you!

Good to see you were in great company! How fun that you were able to spend time with Darcie and her darling family! Sorry you felt so sick...that's the worst when you're sick away from home especially when you're wanting to have fun! Glad you recovered!

the Geoff Davis said...

Great pictures from your trip, Ash. We've been talking about your visit nearly every day since you left....now we're counting down the months until next summer when we'll get to see your treehouse in person! Hello to the kids from us.