Friday, August 14, 2009

Make new friends, but keep the old....

The girls couldn't have been more excited to reunite with our old neighbors, the Bians. With a thunderstorm in the forecast and the possibility of a reschedule, the girls were rather morose on Thursday morning. Sela even climbed back into bed when I mentioned the idea of moving it to Saturday when the weather would be sunny and warm. Two years was long enough to wait, they said.

So we went ahead despite the forecast and Sarah, Eliza, Margaret, and Will came over for a long play date Thursday afternoon. There were only a few sprinkles the whole afternoon. We all had such a great time. The girls picked up right where they left off and I'm certain this day will go down as one of the best days of their entire summer. Rollin wasn't sure where his place was in the mix of so many girls so he hung out close to Melissa and I and little Will and munched on her yummy banana bread and my oatmeal cookies. Since we are both crazy mamas with four kids now, it was fun to catch up and compare stories and feel some camaraderie. At one point, we took kids on a little horse-spotting walk down the road and one of our favorite neighbor families drove by. They were heading to a nice, presumably calm dinner out with their 9 year old daughter while we were trying to keep our small tribe of children from lying down in the road, scaling the fences and running wild with the horses. They must think we're a little nuts....Melissa and I with 8 little kids between us. Oh, what a contrast! But we both love it amidst the craziness......although a nice, calm dinner out doesn't sound too bad either, and that day will come. I hope :)




3 comments:

Amber Marie said...

Yum on that food from the garden! I need to get your dad over here to plant my garden, ahem, I mean help me plant my garden... :)

Colleen said...

Old friends are such GREAT friends! Those pictures are awesome. And squash baseball sounds great...I'm hoping for just one, teeny, bitty squash! One!

Erin said...

cute kids! Love the squash baseball...sure Rollin was in heaven!