Friday, August 7, 2009

Franklin Falls

We ventured out on a little hike this afternoon for our Friday adventure. We left the house around 11 and headed about an hour east to Denny Creek and a hike called Franklin Falls. It was the perfect hike for three small kids and a baby. I heard about the hike from my friend, Colleen, and after seeing her photos I decided this one might be feasible with Evan. 1 mile each way and a very well groomed and beautiful trail.

The waterfall was huge, but after a quick glance, the kids were much more interested in jumping and climbing on the rocks, and trying to cross to the other side. The temperature outside was in the mid 60's but that didn't stop Rollin and Nina from getting wet up to their waists. Sela crossed to the other side without getting a drop of water on her. But it was not so easy for Nina and Rollin. They couldn't reach their legs as far as Sela, however they were both very determined to make it to the other side no matter the cost.


I knew they would be cold and fuss on the way down, but what do you do?! I felt like a broken record after a few minutes so I just decided to let them get drenched and deal with the consequences.
Nina ended up taking her wet pants off and we made a little skirt out of her mostly dry sweatshirt. She was happy as could be. Rollin didn't go for that idea and just cried most of the the way down because he was cold. But that's how we learn. He was also in desperate need of a nap, so we were doomed either way.

We stopped by Thenos on the way home because Nina had a very helpful hiking attitude and earned everybody an icecream. She offered to hold the backpack the whole way (it only had keys, cell, water, and 3 sandwiches) and did not whine or complain once.

I think we'll head back to this trail on a warmer day because my guide book says there is a rock slide with water for kids on nearby trail which sounds very fun.










4 comments:

Dee Ann said...

Great fun. Nina bear looks like she is growing up - really lenghtening out! And that load on your body looks like it made for a good training session!! Must have burned quite a few calories lugging Evie boo around!! I bet he enjoyed the hike as much as anybody. The outdoors and water are good for the body and soul!!!

the Geoff Davis said...

We always wanted to do that hike but never got around to it. Looks like fun!

Colleen said...

I am glad you liked it. It is definitely a good one for a warm day, since the lure of the water is just too great to resist!

Susan said...

Looks like a fun outing! I have that wrap, do you like it?? Does it hold the baby well and can you Breastfeed in it?