Saturday, March 28, 2009

What a week...

A week ago I commented to my neighbor, Serena, how happy I am that our family has seemed to avoid any major sickness this year. I was especially thankful I hadn't had the flu.

On Sunday I made an attempt at a plan for the week. I even planned the meals. I arranged 3 play dates for Nina who has been begging for weeks me me to invite her favorite friends over. It was a fairly busy week and the major thing looming over me was the Spring Fling party for the children at church. I had been collecting ideas for a couple of weeks but planned to do all the running around and prep on Wednesday and Thursday and a bit of Friday. The party was Friday evening. Fortunately, I was able to get most of shopping done on Wednesday while the kids were at friends' houses.

Zig had mentioned he would not be traveling this week, but it was like he was gone because he had off-site meetings each night at the Woodmark until about 10pm. Had I known he would be eating at a 4-star restaurant all week, I would have tweaked my menu a bit and not made the kids suffer through tomato goat cheese tarts :) They are fairly adventurous eaters, but when a meal with just fresh tomatoes, onions, and goat cheese shows up, they aren't as enthusiastic as usual!

Wednesday night I started feeling a bit "off" at book club. I didn't know if it was fatigue, body aches from running errands all day, or what. But I ended up coming down with some type of stomach bug (there is NOTHING I hate worse). It was quick and the symptoms only lasted through the night, but left me in a lot of pain and totally fatigued. I went to the midwives Thursday because last time I had the flu, the cramping started my labor with Rollin. But, thankfully, baby is not ready to make his debut just yet. I measured smaller but that's because of a little bit of dehydration. Heike (my midwife) made me promise to stay in bed, get a babysitter, and rest for several days. She would have freaked if she knew I was still trying to make it to the Spring Fling!

Thursday I rested and kept all the kids home from school. I was afraid if I sent Sela and she happened to also be sick, I couldn't get out of bed to go and pick her up. She needed a day of rest anyway and she ran the show around here until Zig was able to come home early. Lots of movies on Thursday!

Friday I started to regain a lot of strength and by the end of the day I felt back to normal. Luckily, I was able to get the projects together for the most part and the other Primary ladies did all the setting up, which was a huge help. The party was very fun and a little crazy at times. The kids played games, made bird feeders, painted lady bug rocks, Tissue Paper Eggs, planted seeds and painted/decoupaged terra cotta pots. They ended the night with ice cream sundaes (with artificial toppings), which was not my idea, but I ran out of time to make what I had in mind. The Senior Primary was kind enough to share their treats, and of course the kids were very pleased with their sundaes. Beggars can't be choosers!

I came home, headed straight to the tub (with a new cookbook in hand) for a nice long bath and to rest my achy body. And now it is officially the weekend. I don't have too many more commitments before the baby comes, but plenty of "to-do's" that may or may not get done. Maybe some mellowing out and a bit more snuggling with the kids before the the new baby.

8 comments:

Dee Ann said...

Two pretty girls!!

Erin said...

So glad you are feeling better and that you were able to make your party. Hope you weren't contagious though ;)
Relax. Relax. Relax. There I made your list for you! It's so hard to do though because you want to get so much done before the babe arrives. Plus, the nesting bug has probably kicked in. I'm hoping mine kicks in here soon because we have a bagillion things to do these next couple of weeks to get the house ready.

ashley said...

I didn't think I was contagious or no way would I have gone. The girls and I went to Seattle all day today and I'm still feeling good. Strange. I'm more inclined to think it was something I ate because there was no fever or other symptoms, and it was so quick.

Amber Marie said...

We are glad you are better too. Sounds like the primary activity was a blast for the kids. We are having ours in a couple weeks. I may take some of your ideas!

the Geoff Davis said...

I say throw your to do list out the window and draw more Van Goghs with the kids.

Is Erin expecting #3?! Go cousins!

Dee Ann said...

I am with you Darcie on the to do list!! There's a lot to be said for being still... We are promised we will see God. "Be still and know that I am God." I tried my best to get her to delegate some of her responsibilities to the other sisters but to no avail. Everything worked out this time. Thank goodness. Rollin came into this world because of a spell that she had with vomiting. Of course, it was his due date which makes a difference!! I remember my mother telling me the same things that I am now telling my daughters and daughters-in-laws and their responses through their actions are the same as mine were then. Mothers just stay tired for about 20 years but have a lot of energy to sustain them unless the button is pushed too far one too many times. It is important to know when to say when and when to say no!! The body does not lie and it behooves all of us to listen to it very intently!! I do hope you are all doing well and that Jeff is much improved. Miss you guys back here in the states.

Trisha said...

Im sorry! I didnt know you were so down and out. I would have loved to take the kids for awhile. You have always helped me out, I owe you. Hang in there.

Susan said...

You are super mom! I got the stomach flu when I was pregnant with Savanna on a road trip back from Texas to Utah. It was the worst experience ever and I was in the hospital the next day, 28 weeks pregnant, with contractions. Dehydration is common for me too. It's almost like getting slapped in the face with morning sickness again at the end of your pregnancy!

You need to relax! I don't know how you do it, preggo with 3 kids. I'm struggling with just one!