Monday, March 23, 2009

Breakfast Muffins

I tried a new muffin recipe this morning. I love muffins and these were super delish! The recipe made 12 regular sized muffins and 24 mini-muffins, perfect for snacking.

Apple-Carrot Muffins

1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup flaxseed meal
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut
1 cup brown sugar
2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 T cinnamon
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1 1/2 c carrots
2 apples, shredded
1/2 cup raisins, optional
1 cup walnuts, chopped or ground
3/4 cup 1% milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin pans or line with paper cups. Mix together flours, flaxseed meal, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Stir in carrots, apples, raisins and walnuts. Combine milk, beaten eggs and vanilla in another bowl. Pur liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until ingredients moistened. Do not overmix. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

5 comments:

Dee Ann said...

I have that recipe and it is my all time favorite, healthy recipe. Actually tastes delicioso!!!

Erin said...

sounds yum...will be trying soon :)

ashley said...

Mom this one is a little different than that other apple carrot one we make, I think I like it better.

Amber Marie said...

That looks so good. I have been meaning to make some muffins. Thanks for the recipe!

Trisha said...

I love carrot muffins and flaxmeal. I will try these soon. Thanks.