Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Starts

This weekend, Zig and the kids disappeared for a couple of hours in the greenhouse. He successfully got them very excited about planting and they were all very busy when I finally went out to bring them in for a late dinner. My other reason for heading out was to gently remind Zig not to burn them out on gardening on the first day...but I was so surprised at how much fun they were having! They chose which vegetables they wanted to plant and there were trays and trays of starts lining the floor when they were done for the night. And they felt very proud of their efforts.

Sela planted pumpkins, squash, cabbage and Easter radishes.

Nina planted Red Bell Peppers, climbing peas, star watermelons, and asparagus.

Rollin's job was to put the dirt into all the trays, which he took very seriously.

I had fun looking through all of the seed packets and envisioning all these beauties growing in our garden. We brought back a bunch of seeds last year from Monticello and Zig has a collection of seed catalogs he has ordered the others from. I can't wait for the growing season...there's not much in season locally right now and we're finally getting tired of apples and pears.

There are buds coming up all over the yard, thankfully, given the hours and hours we spent planting this fall. We've had some wacky weather for this area and some extreme temperatures so I was actually getting a little nervous this December. But all is well by the looks of things.

This will hopefully be the first year I won't have to buy fresh flowers, and I don't anticipate needing much produce from the store either.

We'll be off the grid in no time! The girls asked when we were getting a cow...ha ha! Never. There are limits to my farm dream.



3 comments:

ashley said...

I'm remembering when all of you kiddoes would run hide when it came to maintaining the garden on Bass Blvd. Hope you have better luck getting S

ashley said...

Hope you have better luck getting Sela, Nina & Rollin to work in the garden!! Looks like you are off to a good start!! It is a great way to spend family time together!! Something therapeutic about the dirt!!

Dee Ann said...

the above comments were from Granny