Monday, March 9, 2009

33

(something is messed up here with the way this post looks, I can't fix it!)

There is so much to be grateful for today as I celebrate 33 years! There are blessings big and small, many I feel very undeserving of, but am so grateful for nonetheless.

I am thankful for my family. I know 90% of my happiest memories are memories with my family. I miss them all and how I would love to be celebrating with them!

Speaking of family, I'm so thankful for the sweet note I received from my Dad this morning, remembering one of my first successful fishing experiences and expressing his love for me. I am strengthened by my family and cherish each memory with them.

I was especially thankful for the DVDs Babcia Tina sent as part of a birthday package for Rollin and I. They kept the kids busy for a bit this morning while I prepared my art docent lesson for this afternoon!

After about a year of phone tag, I am thankful I was able to speak with my dear friend Jody last night. Such a treat!

And I'm thankful for all the phone calls and emails today from friends and family. I appreciate each of them so much. Our stake president calls everyone on their birthday, which amazes me given the time that must take. What a kind man. We talked about good restaurants and my birthday plans.

Imagine my surprise when I picked up my kids from my good friend Suzanne's house and she had made my VERY favorite cupcakes. Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. So very sweet and thoughtful. Baby agreed as he was doing flips in my belly all the way home from her house!

And I am SO thankful for some news I received this week....my iron levels are rising and I won't need injections this pregnancy. I was shocked to hear the message as I was just sure nothing had changed.

I am thankful for Rollin, Nina, and Sela. I adore them. They bring me such joy. Their homemade gifts put a smile on my face and even brought a laugh or two! They are always very creative and resourceful. Zig found a heart-shaped rock this weekend when he was digging holes for fruit trees and Sela painted it for me. She also gave me a piece of very unique looking bark ;) Nina, with Sela's help, made me a really sweet card on the computer with images of puppies on it...yes, they are still trying to make me a dog lover! Nina also wrapped up the present she had previously given me for Christmas, a little calendar, and gave it to me again. She was just as proud of it now as she was three months ago. Love that girl! The funniest part was when I opened it, she said, can I have the pretty ribbon back, Mom?



Birthday Bark...I know you're all jealous :)



















Everyone needs a heart rock!




















We enjoyed dinner together and came home and made our own version of Almond Joy Sundaes with Fran's dark chocolate sauce. Zig and I had planned to watch a movie at home together, but Sela began to feel sick to her stomach so I decided I needed to sleep in case she was coming down with something. I was elated to wake up and find her tired, but well.










































I'm so thankful for my unborn child, and anxious to meet him, though I still need 8 weeks to prepare!

I'm thankful I can still get a decent night's rest most of the time.

I'm thankful for Zig. He is a man of many talents and interests and has really taken the lead this year on projects for our home, both inside and out. He most enjoys being at home with our family or being busy outdoors. He seems to do it all and do it well and I'm so grateful for his dedication to our family and his zest for life.

And finally, I'm thankful for the champagne mangoes that appeared this week at the grocery store. They are one fruit that is not even remotely local, but I just can't pass them up. They are my absolute favorite fruit and I could eat my weight in them, which is saying A LOT right now.

Well, I can't stop at just one food...I'm thankful for dark chocolate, grape nuts, and creamy wheat, and vanilla hazelnut herbal tea. These have been my late night treats this pregnancy. My comfort foods, if you will.

And I'm really excited about the amazing artist Zig has found to create pieces for the living room and kitchen. His work is just our style, very organic, simple, with sometimes whimsical and lifelike depictions of nature... especially birds, flowers, fruit and bees. We can't wait to see the final product which will have elements of the following two pieces:









































It's been a good year, fast and furious at times. I'm looking forward to further simplifying my life this year and living in the moment as best I can.

And I'd really like to figure out a way to get rid of the two wrinkles that just burst on the scene out of nowhere this year! I thought you weren't supposed to get wrinkles in Seattle?! I guess I can blame all my years of tennis in the grueling Texas heat for these beauties!

7 comments:

Dee Ann said...

What a beautiful recap of your day of bliss darling!! Lately, my thoughts soften my heart as I give gratitude to Heavenly Father for all the blessings he bestows upon our family - even challenges!! Looking back while raising each of you children, my trials with my health at such a young age helped influence my ideals about raising our family and looking back I can honestly say I loved every minute of life everyday through the difficult times as well as the good times because nothing dampened my spirits about mothering. Life is like that, you know. It doesn't matter what happens to us, but how we choose to deal with what happens to us. We are writing our own destiny and what a trip it is!! I love you and am glad you had a special day!!

Colleen said...

Happy birthday, my friend! It sounds like an amazing day, with an amazing family. You truly have so much to be thankful for, but I believe that they are also so thankful for you! I sure am!

Amber Marie said...

Glad to hear you had such a great birthday. Cool presents! :) Kids know how to give the best from-the-heart presents. If you call grape nuts a "comfort food"- I have lots to adjust too to become just like you :)

Good luck with the next 8 weeks- we can't wait for a new cousin!!

Erin said...

love the bark! Happy Birthday :)

Trisha said...

I love grape nuts too. You are a great example to me. Hope you had a nice week.

Shenise said...

Thank you for sharing your birthday thoughts! Reading your message was inspiring and motivating in many ways. I so admire your love of family, faith, simplicity, living in the moment and much more! Love all of you really! Happy Birthday Ashley!

Susan said...

Happy Belated! I know, We've been so far behind with this morning sickness! I haven't felt like even sitting at the computer for a while. Love you!