Saturday, February 21, 2009

Honey Whole Wheat

I found a very good honey whole wheat recipe this week. It's super quick and easy and makes three loaves.

I love the artisan bread recipes I've been making, and personally I prefer crusty bread, but we needed a soft sandwich bread for the kids. This one hit the spot!




















• 4 Cups Warm Water
• 1/3 Cup Canola Oil (I used sunflower)
• 1/3 Cup Honey
• 1 TBLS Salt
• 3 TBLS Yeast
• 1/2 Cup Gluten Flour (I didn't have this and bread flour works fine)
• 8-9 cups flour (Whole wheat and white bread flour)

Mix all ingredients except flour, until combined. Add 4 Cups of bread flour and mix well. Slowly add the rest of the flour one cup at a time until the dough forms a ball and cleans the sides of the bowl. Knead on the lowest setting in the mixer for 8 min. Remove from mixer and form into 3 loaves. Place in greased bread pans and cover with a clean dish towel. Let rise until loaves have doubled in size: approximately 35 minutes. Once risen, place all three pans into a cold—not preheated--oven. THEN set the temperature to 350 degrees and the timer to 27 minutes. The loaves should be golden brown on the top when time is up—if not bake for a little longer checking it every minute. Immediately remove bread from the pan and place on cooling racks to cool. Once cooled store in bread bags.

4 comments:

the Geoff Davis said...

You make it sounnd so easy, Ashley, but I have yet to make bread that actually rises. Ceci and I tried to make some a month or so ago and when we opened up the little yeast package we found it was baking powder. I really need to learn French...

ashley said...

haha! I promise this one is easy. I actually didn't expect it to turn out and I was very, very surprised at the results. And the whole thing is done in about an hour...including the rising and baking.

Erin said...

We just had a friend drop off cranberry walnut bread and it made me want to start making homemade bread. There really is a difference.

gerardogarmendia photography said...

hey ashley! i follow your blog to get all your yummy recipies :) this one looks delish and i can't wait to try it!