Sunday, February 1, 2009

Courage

Friday there was no school. And for whatever reason, it was NOT the best day. The kids didn't get along too well and Sela said it was a horrible day. I know she looks forward to days off from school, and it just wasn't peaceful at home. She tried to play with Rollin and Nina and things just weren't working out. There was a lot of arguing. I sensed she was really bummed. We all talked about how crummy it felt to have a day like that and resolved to make Saturday different. I realized Sela could use some one-on-one time with Mom. She never has that anymore. When I mentioned it to her, her eyes lit up.

Saturday was much, much better. Like night and day really. The weather was gorgeous and we all spent the day outside. Friends came and went and the girls moved their Alonee Village(some type of native american village they worked on all summer) to a new sunnier spot and spend the afternoon raking paths, creating outdoor rooms, and making a hospital in the trees.

Zig transplanted raspberries and I cleaned up one of our big flower beds because there is quite a bit of new growth coming up. It was a productive day for us and we all felt really good at the days end.

Sela and I headed out on our promised outing around 7. I was already toast and my body aching from working outside. But there was no way I wasn't going to take this opportunity. I always forget what a treat it is to get into the car with just one of the children. To visit and be able to listen without interruption. We had to run to Target for a couple of things and then it was up to Sela to choose what she wanted to do. She decided she wanted to have an Almond Joy Sundae at Coho.

As we sat and enjoyed some appetizers and dessert, little Sela just talked and talked and talked. I just watched her and listened and my heart swelled with love for this amazing and tender child of mine. I learned things about her. She told me how she had wanted to try something at school but felt nervous. Apparently, there is time set aside each day for kids to read things they've written in their journals to the class. Sela said only one girl usually does it and the teacher begs for others to join. Then she told me, one of my goals is to be a good speaker, so I just decided to do it! She said she felt a little shaky when she first got up but everyone listened and looked at her and liked her story. It was a good experience for her and now she said she is going to do it more and more.

And then today, she surprised us by sharing her testimony in church. The first Sunday of each month, members are invited to come to the podium and share their feelings about the Savior. The whole meeting was wonderful and we were sitting in the very back. Sela whispered to me that she wanted to share her testimony and I asked her if she had an idea of what she might say. She did, of course. She kept starting to get up to walk to the front and then someone else would go. I told her she'd probably have to just go sit in front to be closer. And off she went. She quickly walked up to the stand and sat down. When it was her turn, she shared the sweetest testimony about how the Savior hears her prayers and answers them. She told a story about losing her bunny, and how Nina said they should pray. She said they were both crying and then they prayed and had a thought of where to look. She stuck her hand down in a hole and felt Spotty's ear. They were so happy able to find Spotty and that their prayers were heard.

Zig and I were both so touched. Many people told us afterward how much they appreciated the simple and pure faith of a child and her testimony. I was so happy for Sela because she was able to share something so dear to her and also because she did something that is not easy. Standing in front of a huge congregation is hard for most adults, at least for me. She is a great example to both Zig and I and we are often humbled at how much we are blessed to have such wonderful little people in our lives. We are also so grateful for the church and how it gives each of us so many opportunities for growth, self-reflection and improvement. And most importantly, the teachings all center on trying help us become more like our Savior, Jesus Christ. We are truly blessed.

8 comments:

Dee Ann said...

That one-on-one time is priceless and I am so blessed right now to have read your entry about Sela bearing her testimony. She truly is a very sensitive and loving child of God - one of his choicest spirits and I, for one, am thankful she has come into our family!! Oh, the truthfulness of the scripture that says we must become as a little child if we expect to enter back into the presence of our Heavenly Father.

Dee Ann said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dee Ann said...

That one-on-one time is priceless and I am so blessed right now to have read your entry about Sela bearing her testimony. She truly is a very sensitive and loving child of God - one of his choicest spirits and I, for one, am thankful she has come into our family!! Oh, the truthfulness of the scripture that says we must become as a little child if we expect to enter back into the presence of our Heavenly Father.

Dee Ann said...

I must have been a little impatient and pushed the "publish your comment" a couple times too many as it was slow in posting!!

Amber Marie said...

Well that is so neat you were able to spend some one on one time with Sela. I still cherish that even now if I am able to be alone with one of my parents! It is special time.

I have seen that chocolate book around for quite sometime. so it is good uh?

And you look GREAT! Really Ashley, so darling. I love the tummy :)

ashley said...

The cookbook is a good one. I have it on loan from the library. I wanted to try it out before I bought it. I like David Lebovitz' cookbooks a lot and this one is just fun, and very decadent.

Colleen said...

What a wonderful post! I love every moment of alone time I get with the kids individually. I am so glad you had this chance, it sounds like Sela really needed it! She has such a beautiful soul, what a joy in your life!

Anonymous said...

I just want to tell Sela and Nina how special it is that they have the faith to pray for answers and receive them. We all need to have the faith of little children. You children are all so special and blessed with many gifts that I know you will share with others during the rest of your lives. I love you and wish I could see you. Take care of your dear mother during the last months of her pregnancy-she is most special too!

Love always, Poppy