Monday, August 25, 2008

Three winners

I have three new favorite recipes. While mom was here, I tested out a curried tofu scramble on her and she loved it. I don't use tofu a whole lot, but this scramble was seriously yum! I basically just sauteed chopped onions, garlic, and red peppers and then crumbled the tofu in. Then I added a little bit of turmeric, curry poweder, and a splash of tamari and sauteed it all for a few minutes. At the end I threw in chopped spinach and a little kale and served it with a bit of cilantro.

After mom took the kids and friends blackberry picking on our street, we decided to make some biscuits to serve them with. The biscuits we made were Amaranth flour seeded bisquits. I put seeds on some and raw sugar to top the others. They were very good warm out of the oven with some fresh whipped cream, peaches, and berries. A perfect saturday morning breakfast.

The last recipe is good ole refried beans...with a twist. I found this recipe in "the Splendid Tables's How to eat Supper" cookbook. I'd actually never made my own refried beans, and this is the dish that kept giving. This recipe begins with sauteed onions, cinnamon and cloves, 2 cans of red beans, 1 can of tomatoes, and salt and pepper and a bit of butter at the end. You mash it all with a potato masher. I don't know what it is, but these creamy yummy beans are really delicious.
We made rice bowls out of them with brown rice, the beans, cheese, salsa, cilantro and avocados. Very satisfying. The next day we made breakfast burritoes. Good stuff.



















Tofu scramble and Biscuits



















More biscuits



















Refried bean rice bowl

1 comment:

Amber Marie said...

the refried bean rice bowl looks delicious- so do the biscuit and berries but we don't have great fresh berries around :(

sounds like your mom ate like a gourmet queeN at your house :)