Friday, August 1, 2008

Pirate Play

There is a big old gnarly tree stump in the back yard that the kids have been using as a pirate ship. Its big thick roots and branches make it so there are lots of little places to perch and be lookouts on the pirate ship. This morning we did some remodeling of the ship and I dug a big hole in front for the "prison." Then the kids pounded the wet the clay in front to make a ship deck. After that, the transformation of the kids to pirates began.

We cut up an old shower curtain which became pirate hats and a big pirate flag for a boat. Sela's friend, Treela, brought lots of pirate clothes and props (I think Sela and Treela did some planning over the phone beforehand). She also made eye patches for everyone and I painted some scars on their faces and arms. Sela has a couple of friends who come over and can pretend for hours. They go from pirates to indians to orphans. I really, really love to see them so engaged in this type of play. A couple of Sela's best play buddies only do tv on special occasions and they seem to be the ones who can pretend for hours on end. It's wonderful.









2 comments:

Trisha said...

Roland looks awesome. You are so fun.

Dee Ann said...

Do you miss your other place one ioda?! The outdoors and imaginations make for healthy and happy children. Cute pictures!!