There was a Veteran's Day assembly at school on Thursday which was really touching and attended by veterans in the community who have grandchildren at the school. The Principal had a total gaffe when he told the audience to be seated during the national anthem. He was quite embarassed when he was quickly made aware of his mistake. A couple of the veterans spoke to the kids about what it means to be a veteran. All of the children sang a song about Heroes to the veterans. Afterwards, we stayed and played on the playground after Sela got out of school.
Sela had a great week at school. She was awarded a Star Skill Award for writing by the principal. The principal took her picture and it is hanging at the school. Sela loves to write stories and is always hard at work on a new one. She woke up early this morning to finish her latest one called "Fire Deer." It was neat that she was recognized for something that really matters to her. She was sooo excited to bring the news home. She also enjoyed dressing "cozy and crazy" for school for a special theme day on Monday. I'm so happy to see Sela enjoying her new school so much. She has adjusted very well and has a really fantastic teacher. She is also very helpful around the house with ROllin and has started to sneak in at night when I am rocking him to sleep to sing him lullabies. He usually sings back...it's very sweet.
Nina learned that she is quite skilled in the game of Memory as she beat us all this week. She loves to play card games and to have stories read to her all day long. She brings them to the bath with her so I can to her read while she bathes. I told her this week how much I love her bright little eyes and her adorable voice. They bring me such joy.
Rollin is turning out to be my little helper. He loves to clean up messes,and he makes plenty. Mom taught him to bring his plate to the sink when she was here and he loves to do that. He drops half his food on the way, but he at least he hurries over to clean it up. This week I had the dry vac out and it kept him entertained for at least 30 minutes. He was good at it too and actually really cleaned up a lot. I'm very excited about that.
Friday there was no school and we met our friends for breakfast at the Maltby Cafe, consistently voted Seattle's best breakfast. Even on a weekday, we waited about 40 minutes, but the kids were nice and hungry when we sat down. They all did well and the food was really good. Not the very best I've had, but a really good "down home" breakfast. The pancakes in the shape of a teddy bear were a real hit with the kids. Afterwards, the girls were begging for a park so we went to Cottage Lake Park. Sela and Nina went over to Kate and Emma's afterwards and then we all went to a birthday party for Sela's friend Perrie at Jump Planet. When we walked in the door of our house that afternoon, Nina was literally begging to go to sleep.
Zig went to Japan this morning and will be back on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm tired just thinking about that travel schedule. He has been very, very busy this past week. I think some deals are in the works that will likely keep him tied up until Christmas. This weekend, he had a nice break (a relative term) and spent all day Saturday working in the yard and clearing a path for the fence to go in. There is one small part of the yard that is not fenced and since we will likely be acquiring some animals in the near future, we are having the fence finished. Eric broke ground on the chicken coup. When I saw it I asked Zig if we were building a chicken coup or a guesthouse. It's huge. At least it looks that way. I can tell Zig is excited and enjoys planning this kind of stuff. Apparently, the coup will look like the house in some way. We'll see. For now, it's just in the framing stage. I'm very excited about having green and blue eggs like martha stewart :) Eric, this wonderful, wonderful guy we have working on some projects around here, has chickens and assured me they only take minimal effort. He gave us some of his eggs and they were so yummy.
We had a great bookclub meeting this week, almost everyone made it. We discussed The Painted Veil. I loved the book, tragic but it provided much to think about. I found a few hours yesterday to get my hair cut which was long overdue. Ryan, my hairdresser, pretty much won't let me grow my hair out at all and insists on keeping it short, so it's super short again. Not sure what I think, but it's just hair. It's time to end, this is much too long. Have a wondeful night, everyone.
3 comments:
That is a gigantic chicken coup. Ryan wants to know if we can come stay in it ;)...seriously though, can we? I love the short hair. Sela, Nina and Rollin all look so cute. I can't believe how big Rollin is getting.
That's huge! I always look at pictures before I read and I was like...A play house?? Neat! haha, that's a big chicken coup. I love your hair. Mine is so long and horrible...I need to do something to it soon.
darling, i loved all the exciting entries and am going to pick up the phone right now to call. I love your new do!!
Post a Comment