We have tried many pizza dough recipes but I've settled on the following recipe for the last month or so. I don't use white flour in most of my baking, but pizza dough is one of the few exceptions. I haven't found a whole grain dough I like that makes a thin and crispy crust which is the only crust I like. We also made some butternut squash sweet potato soup. Rollin is quite congested and lost his voice so I thought some soup might help the little guy.
Pizza Dough
3/4 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
1 envelope active dry yeast
2 cups (or more) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
Pour 3/4 cup warm water into small bowl; stir in yeast. Let stand until yeast dissolves, about 5 minutes.
Brush large bowl lightly with olive oil. Mix 2 cups flour, sugar, and salt in processor. Add yeast mixture and 3 tablespoons oil; process until dough forms a sticky ball. Transfer to lightly floured surface. KNEAD dough until smooth, adding more flour by tablespoonfuls if dough is very sticky, about 1 minute. Transfer to prepared bowl; turn dough in bowl to coat with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. PUNCH down dough. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Store in airtight container in refrigerator. ROLL out dough according to recipe instructions. (Start in center of dough, working outward toward edges but not rolling over them.)
4 comments:
Thank you very much Ashley. We have tried a number of pizza dough recipes too never really liking them. Last time we made pizza we bought the dough from a bakery nearby and it was ok. Maybe we can try this one tonight...
Amber,
To make it crispy, heat the oven to 500 and use a stone (if you have one). Preheat the stone and then throw the the rolled out dough on there. We make lots of small pizzas rather than a big one. It only takes about 6 minutes to cook. Often, I will roll out the little pizzas and cook the dough for 2 minutes so later when we eat them, the rolling and messy part is done. Then we just top them and put them back on the stone in the oven until the cheese bubbles. The crust is crisp. I love that. Hope that makes sense. It is the simplest recipe.
Thanks for the recipe! Have you ever tried using whole wheat flower? I did with one of my recipes and it didn't taste so great down here, but in Miami it tasted wonderful. I love Homemade pizza.
Thanks for the tips. Our stone is in storage (surprise!). We have never been able to get it to work quite well. So after you have preheated the stone you are taking it out and putting the rolled dough on it and then putting to toppings on? I think we might start just making small ones because all of my attempts at large pizzas just come out...not so good.
I'll try it on a pan...might not be as crispy but worth a try :)
Post a Comment