Wednesday, September 30, 2009

You never know until you try.....

Photobucket

Several weeks ago Sela came home from school with a registration form for cross country. She was very excited to join and both Zig and I encouraged her to give it a go. If anything, it's great exercise!

The next afternoon (keep in mind this is the first week of school and emotions run high), she came home on the verge of tears. We talked, well mostly I just asked questions, trying to figure out what in the world was wrong. Every time she would start to talk, she would get teary eyed. I had never seen her sad about school like this. Finally, she just let it out and big elephant tears ran down her face.

It turns out a friend saw the form for cross country on her desk and made a comment about cross country being hard and boring and that she wouldn't be joining. None of Sela's classmates have participated in cross country though because you are only eligible beginning in 3rd grade. I kept thinking there was more to the story because Sela was so upset, but there wasn't. That was it and for whatever reason, Sela was pretty discouraged. I think she just thought all of her friends would sign up and they would have fun doing it together. She went to school so excited and the after the comment, she felt totally deflated.

Sela went to the practice anyway, just to see for herself what it was like. I watched the first practice and well, they pretty much ran, ran and ran some more. They were all hot and tired at the end. Several of her friends said "adios" after this initial practice. The next couple of practices, however, were all games like Capture the Flag and Sela had a great time.

The first meet was last Wednesday. I picked Sela up from school to drive her to Cottage Lake Elementary, but when she got in the car she said " I don't think I want to go to the meet." I told her that was fine, but that the meets are actually the best part. So we headed on over. I think she just wanted reassurance.

She was a little bit nervous but once things got rolling, she was totally enjoying herself. One thing I love about our little school is that the kids really support each other. They have a lot of school spirit and they cheer for everyone. After all the grades walked the course, the meet began. They go from oldest to youngest so the 3rd graders ran last.

Sela took off at what must have been her top speed and I thought for sure she would tire out at that pace. Then the route goes off through the trees and behind the school and you don't see the runners until they come back at the end. I was visiting with friends and then I looked up to see Sela running in with no one close behind.

She ran her little heart out and she came in 1st!

Talk about over the moon! She was so happy and she literally beamed the rest of the night. We went to Jamba Juice for a some celebratory smoothies. She couldn't go to sleep that night and wanted to talk, talk, talk all night with me about all things cross country. She wanted to give me a play by play of the run and the course. How she was so tired but she knew she could rest at the end so she kept going :) She talked about how much she loves her PE teacher, Mr. Hogle (and he is exceptional). And how much she wanted to win for her school. She said hearing my voice made her run faster. She loved the way the kids from her school cheer each other on. She said she just told herself to do her best. So many good lessons for her, and such a positive experience.

The second meet was today, at Sunrise Elementary. Zig was able to make it and Andrea, our babysitter, also came to cheer her on.

Photobucket
3rd Grade girls lining up. The other school had a lot more participants.

Photobucket
This race was much closer.

Photobucket
These kids started strong and broke away from the pack a little bit.


Photobucket
Sela and Annie giving it their all.

Photobucket
When Sela came around the fence, she was a step or two behind, but she passed this little girl at the end and won 1st again.

Photobucket
Way to go, Sela!

Zig was so glad he was able to make it today. Usually he is out of town so it was a treat for him and for Sela as well.

8 comments:

Amber Marie said...

WOW! Go Sela!!!! That is so cool! All my brothers did cross country and really loved it. She sure looks like she is running super fast!

Your tomatoes look GORGEOUS. I wanted some tomatoes yesterday at the grocery store. I finally found a little pint of organic cherry tomatoes from California that looked half decent :( Next year, we will definitely be planting a garden!

Dee Ann said...

Way to go Sela!! She really does look like a genuine runner. Keep it up girl. Hopefully, Granny and Poppe can see you run sometime while we are there!!

Shenise said...

Yahoo Sela! Reading this post made me cry. You're right, there are so many life lessons to be learned with this experience. Way to perservere and run girl!

Erin said...

Wow girl, you are amazing! You inspire me :) I'll be sure to think, "I can just rest when it is over," on my next run! love you sweet Sela!

Stacia said...

Thats so cool. Great job Sela..

Dee Ann said...

Ash, I just read your entry again and one thing you said that made an impression this time was that Sela, upon hearing your voice, made her run faster!! That is a FHE lesson in and of itself! The voices of love here on earth that encourage us to move on to the finish line will always lead us to another voice of loving concern because they sound and feel similar and familiar. Our spirits yearn and thrive and grow on those uplifting, encouraging and loving voices!! God help us all to surrender to His loving kindness and share it with all those we care so deeply about is my most earnest desire this day! Thank you, Sela and Ashley, for sharing so freely of your seemingly ordinary experience with profoundly unordinary lessons!!

the Geoff Davis said...

Sela, I love your courage, your stick-to-itiveness, and how you gave it your absolute ALL! You are quite a powerful girl. We are so proud of you down here in California!

Colleen said...

I love it! Sela is so great, and that smile says it all!

I didn't start running X-C until high school, but some of my favorite memories come from my cross-country life!