
Aside from September being much too busy for my liking, this is such a beautiful time of year. Fall is most certainly on its way, but there is still lots of sunshine. The leaves are beginning to change. The air is cooling down at night. The days are getting a wee bit shorter (which helps tremendously for bedtime!) It's almost time for scarves and boots and comfort food.
And EVERYTHING is ripe in the garden. Oh my goodness. This is our first year to plant a garden. We both grew up with gardens and orchards. Zig had all kinds of citrus groves...lemons, tangerines, persimmons, oranges, avocados, etc. We had a peach orchard and always a garden. However, I didn't know just how much I would love having one of my own. It's been amazing to be able to go out in the evening, grab a few vegetables and throw together a quick rice bowl. I am already mentally planning our garden for next year. I love it!
I'm amazed at how well everything grew in the girls' gardens. We really gave no oversight to that process. They did it ALL on their own and as a result, they feel such pride in their efforts when their vegetables grow.
One evening I was sitting down in the garden with Evan. Sela, Nina, and Rollin were playing elsewhere and hadn't come to find me yet. I had gone down to pick a few veggies for our dinner, but then Evan didn't want to be put down on his blanket. There was no hurry so I sat down and just held him in my lap and gave him my full attention. I was smiling at him, and he was trying desperately to mimic my every expression. I was completely overcome with love and adoration for this child. Then I looked around the garden, bursting with life. And it was so humbling to me. Life is such a miracle, in all its forms. Just the simple fact that a nine foot tall sunflower twice the size of my head was a mere tiny seed only months ago is just miraculous, and awe inspiring, yet mundane in a way. I mean it's just a seed and just a sunflower you could say, but for some reason, I was so totally struck by the the miracle of life. I can't adequately put my feelings into words right now and I'm totally fumbling for a way to express myself, but the best I can do is to say I just felt such a deep level of gratitude in my heart. It was a perfect moment, and strangely enough, one of the happiest moments of my life. I felt pure joy.





I love the lyrics to the song Ordinary Miracle by Sarah McLachlan.
It's not that unusual
When everything is beautiful
It's just another ordinary miracle today
The sky knows when its time to snow
You don't need to teach a seed to grow
It's just another ordinary miracle today
Life is like a gift they say
Wrapped up for you everyday
Open up and find a way
To give some of your own
Isn't it remarkable?
Like every time a raindrop falls
It's just another ordinary miracle today
Birds in winter have their fling
And always make it home by spring
It's just another ordinary miracle today
When you wake up everyday
Please don't throw your dreams away
Hold them close to your heart
Cause we are all a part
Of the ordinary miracle
Ordinary miracle
Do you want to see a miracle?
Its seems so exceptional
Things just work out after all
It's just another ordinary miracle today
The sun comes up and shines so bright
It disappears again at night
It's just another ordinary miracle today
It's just another ordinary miracle today
3 comments:
And this is why I love reading your blog! Beautiful sentiments. Beautiful garden. Beautiful....
thanks for the reminder :)
Way to go kids on the triathlon...maybe you can come and be my trainer.
Post a Comment