I am so not ready for summer's end. I mean REALLY, REALLY not prepared. Summer was going along so nicely and them BOOM. Done. I felt like I had things under control this summer and somewhat organized. This is partly because I was putting things off because it was summer. Now I have schedules, parent nights, classes, etc., and the calendar is filling up so very quickly. I flipped backward to July yesterday and saw almost a blank slate. It felt so calm, and I longed for a few more weeks with all the kids home. I am a summertime Mom for sure!
Typically I look forward to fall with more excitement. I usually feel ready for the change, the food, the crisp cool weather, the structure, and all the fun firsts that a new school year brings. But I'm just not there yet.
However, school started today anyway. And I tried to show some enthusiasm even though I am incredibly bummed that our blissful summer has come to a screeching halt. I think the reason we had such a wonderful summer is because we didn't overschedule. We did our tennis, the occasional outing, but stayed home a lot. Everyone was happier and Evan was able to fall into a nice little schedule.
I took the girls school shopping this weekend. We all went looking for jeans and shock of the century, each one of us had luck at the Gap of all places! They have tons of new styles and have recently done a complete overhaul of their jeans for both kids and adults. It was awesome. I didn't expect to actually find jeans that looked half way decent but I found four styles that I loved. And an even a bigger shocker is that they aren't $150 bucks like all the jeans seem to be now. They're around $60. This made for a very good day. Shallow I know, but jeans and bathing suits are so tough and to hit a home run in at least one of those departments was nice. I don't expect the same for the bathing suit search. Somehow Nina smooth talked her way into another new pair of shoes!
Tuesday we had the Meet and Greet at the school. Andrea came to watch the boys while I took Sela and Nina to get little pedicures to celebrate the beginning of a new school year. And their feet were in DESPERATE need of some attention. Sela's were literally stained brown from playing so hard outside this summer. I kept telling her to wash her feet when I would catch a glimpse at home and she kept saying "I did, MOM!! They're clean!" I decided it was time to see the professionals. She and Nina loved the entire process and couldn't believe how soft their feet felt. They enjoyed being pampered and expressed a desire to do this every month. I explained to them that it was a special treat and I didn't get my first pedicure until I was in college. We then headed to the school to see their new classrooms and meet the teachers.
I took the girls school shopping this weekend. We all went looking for jeans and shock of the century, each one of us had luck at the Gap of all places! They have tons of new styles and have recently done a complete overhaul of their jeans for both kids and adults. It was awesome. I didn't expect to actually find jeans that looked half way decent but I found four styles that I loved. And an even a bigger shocker is that they aren't $150 bucks like all the jeans seem to be now. They're around $60. This made for a very good day. Shallow I know, but jeans and bathing suits are so tough and to hit a home run in at least one of those departments was nice. I don't expect the same for the bathing suit search. Somehow Nina smooth talked her way into another new pair of shoes!
Tuesday we had the Meet and Greet at the school. Andrea came to watch the boys while I took Sela and Nina to get little pedicures to celebrate the beginning of a new school year. And their feet were in DESPERATE need of some attention. Sela's were literally stained brown from playing so hard outside this summer. I kept telling her to wash her feet when I would catch a glimpse at home and she kept saying "I did, MOM!! They're clean!" I decided it was time to see the professionals. She and Nina loved the entire process and couldn't believe how soft their feet felt. They enjoyed being pampered and expressed a desire to do this every month. I explained to them that it was a special treat and I didn't get my first pedicure until I was in college. We then headed to the school to see their new classrooms and meet the teachers.



Both girls have wonderful teachers. Sela's class only has 20 children. Two of Nina's best buddies from church are in her class along with a neighbor which helps make the transition easier.

Nina found her bee to place in the beehive. I felt more excited after the meet and greet! There was so much enthusiasm and energy from both the kids and teachers which was fun to see.
These girls were excited...and silly! They had a special breakfast of strawberries and cream, scrambled eggs, and a pan au chocolate. Then we scrambled to the car to meet the bus.
My baby girl off to Kindergarten
More kids at the bus this year!
Nina and Sydney, our next door neighbor!
Nina arriving at school...a little bit nervous.
There's Sela praying I'm not taking pictures of her :) This little boy who sat next to her, Matthew, is the sweetest kid.
Time to say goodbye.
Nina found her friend, Kate. She now looks far less nervous. They held hands all the way to the classroom.
We love you, Nina!
And just like that, we closed the door on summer!
4 comments:
wow, i can't believe nina is in kindergarten! that is crazy. looks like they enjoyed those pedicures!! i bet rollin is missing his playmates- or enjoying some alone time :)
Your last comment, "We closed the door on summer.," made me get a little choked up!! Time goes by too swiftly and they will almost be another year older come next summer. Oh, if we could turn back time. Just more reason the enjoy, stop and smell the roses, and savor every little moment as if it were the last. Life would take on more meaning and be a little sweeter if we consciously tried to remember daily!! I loved all the pics. Thanks!
Awwww! What a fun way to kick off the school year! I know what you mean about the blank slate versus the hectic calendar, we are in the thick of it now and I am having a hard time keeping track! And congrats on the jeans...I will have to hit the Gap next time normal jeans fit!
I've been wondering about you getting back into a schedule...rough reality! Cute little Nina. I looked long and hard at her cute little face. Big changes take place during kindergarten, from little to big. Once those front teeth fall out it is all over...
Post a Comment