The girls have been asking to take horseback riding lessons again. I don't think they want to seriously get into the sport (thankfully), but I think they just want to learn the basics and ride for fun. They just love all animals and have been visiting lots of the horses up and down our street lately. They got very excited when they found out that one of their babysitters was teaching horse back riding lessons. She lives right up the street and today they had their first lessons. Evan and Rollin got to ride at the end as well. Evan wailed when he had to get off. His love for horses can't be overstated.




We went to the library where I picked up a bunch of my nature study materials and some more homeschooling resource books. We ate lunch at PCC and then spent the rest of the afternoon at home. I sat on the porch all afternoon reading through my stack of books while the kids played. I find that rather than telling them over and over to go outside, if I go outside, they follow. And it was a beautiful day, not to be wasted inside for sure. Rollin caught a firefly and a moth and we had fun looking them up in the Handbook of Nature Study, a book I will certainly be adding to my collection. It's fantastic for adding details to the kids' nature journals and for answering the many questions about animals, insects and plants that come my way. Not to mention there is beautiful poetry in the mix.



3 comments:
You are so lucky to have so much nearby! We have to drive a half hour for every outside activity! I can't wait to hear about your homeschool adventures...let the fun begin!
Have a great first day of homeschool!! I love to see the pics of lazy days lovin life!! Capture and savor every little moment. Look at it, breath it, eat it and etch it in your memory.
Good luck with day one! I think it is so great when the schools are flexible about letting homeschooled kids come to specials. I am sure you have 1,000 great resources, but just to share, a nature study book we've loved playing around with is called The Nature Connection.
Post a Comment