From what I understand, this happens when significant physical activity occurs alongside a growth spurt. The condition can be short lived or plague young athletes for years. Sela was disappointed because she really enjoys sports and was having so much fun playing tennis. She was also looking forward to cross country season as well. The doctor said if we could rest her knee for a month, she could slowly begin to try some sports again, but needed to really take it easy if any pain accompanied physical activity. She's been good and has taken it easy for the past 4 weeks. The pain is gone and the swelling is going down.

She decided to try cross country to see if the pain would come back. She had one practice and 1 meet last week. She won first place in a close race and her knee felt fine afterward. I was so relieved. She may only get a few runs in this season, because the pain very well may return, but I was happy she had a great beginning to the season.
I tried to video part of the race for Zig since he was out of town. The girls were coming up "Heartbreak Hill." I did a horrible job on the video, oops!

These girls really push each other to do their best. They are great competitors and even better friends!
2 comments:
Way to go Sela!!! I am thankful you did well in your race and pray your knee does not give you any more trouble!!
Sela is a running star! I am glad her O-S cleared up. I had a close mega-running friend growing up who dealt with that off and on. She was our second place runner on our cross country team though, so she came out OK in the end!
Post a Comment