Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Homeschool Update

We've been slowly ramping up over the past couple of weeks. I want to keep at least a brief record of our year, but my nights are still consumed with pouring through books, blogs, the library catalog, and Amazon. But we're getting there! Wherever there is.

Photobucket  The kids collected, studied, and sketched several abandoned birds' nests from our yard this evening. It was fascinating to discover that two of them had many strands of Kona's hair woven into them! Birds are pretty resourceful little creatures!

And now a brief update:

I took Evan for his check-up a few weeks ago. Upon finding out I was giving homeschool a go this year, my Naturopath remarked that most of the parents she knows who homeschool spend every spare minute of the day/night in preparation, and it's a huge, albeit rewarding, undertaking. We both laughed. I laughed because that has totally been me these past few months, and she probably laughed thinking I'm CRAZY!!

Anyhow, I am cutting myself some slack on the temporary obsession with research. I wanted to really get an overall grasp on the various approaches and curriculum options before I took the plunge. But the problem is, there is always more to learn. One thing always leads to another. And there are so many amazing resources out there for homeschoolers. So many different ways to do it "right." Actually, I think every single homeschooling family does things differently to some degree. This is awesome, yet difficult at the same time. Awesome because the flexibility to choose the best for your family is one of the hallmarks of homeschooling, but difficult because that basically means everyone is on their own journey in many respects through trial and error. I really wanted to  bypass the error part, but I've heard and read enough to know that's a pipe dream. I'm grateful I had the time this summer to put a great deal of thought and study into this, although it never feels sufficient. Even if we only do this for a year, I will be so happy for all I've been learning. I'm feeling bad for Rollin, but he's happy in school, and I think this is all I can handle well at this point. He does join us in the afternoons though, which has been so nice.

Now back to the point Dr. Candace made referring to balance or lack thereof.

I do want to keep the balance in my life. My SIL does it beautifully, and still seems to have time  daily to focus on her interests, so that is heartening.  I know others who do so as well. So I've decided I will strive for the same.. I will maintain balance in my life. I'm really happy being home. There are no shortage of things to keep me busy, engaged, etc. But I definitely love to get out and spend time and connect with friends and pursue my own interests. I don't want to lose that, and I know I will miss these dimensions of my life if I let them slide. However, I can tell I'm just going to have to make a conscious effort to do so. Already this week I've started to talk myself out of book club as well as seeing a film with friends tthinking I really need to nail down my history program or whatever. No Bueno.

I got off topic. This post was supposed to be about how things are going so far. And I must say, Sela, Nina and I are loving the transition. There are some bumps and I still feel unprepared, but even my imperfect efforts seem to be met with enthusiasm. And THIS is what I love most....All the after school rushing around, drama, crazy shuffling to activities, tired kids, what's for dinner, homework, no family time is gone! Oh, I can't express how much I love this aspect already! The girls had voice lessons today, in the morning. We did Math, Science, and Writing this morning before they went to Voice and then PE at the school. This afternoon we began a U.S. History series and were able to sit and watch two segments (form the History Channel)together from 3 -5pm. We ate dinner together, played outside, did nature journals and then read together for an hour. The girls read in bed for another hour or so. I love that school just becomes a part of life, and it doesn't have to end at 3:30. I can feel the stress disappearing. The girls feel the PE is plenty to keep them in touch with their friends, which again, surprises me.

It's also starting to cool off here (well, it never really got hot), and there were even a few drizzles today. I panicked, but then I realized I can leave!! Yes, I don't mind sacrificing my free time right now if it means a ticket out of here in the winter. Hallelujah!

3 comments:

Shenise said...

Love to hear your update! What an adventure for all! You'll do great Mrs. Serafin!

As you mentioned, preparation for teaching is consuming...that's why I didn't let John throw away my 15(maybe more) boxes of teaching materials. I shold've scanned them, but didn't. Not yet! I have three years to get that done before our next move. I don't think they'll make it on the next uhaul!

Soak up this time to study and be with the girls and yes to keeping life in balance! You are one of the few that can do this. Can I send Lane up to your school?

Dee Ann said...

Deep breathing exercises, yoga and nature is the ticket to balance. It is the simple things that create balance like simply sitting and gazing at that beautiful full moon that you see way up there in Washington, Erin sees in Maryland and we all see down here in the Valley. I am lost in thougt as I look heavenward at the grandeur of it all. There is a God and I see him smiling down on your efforts to teach, connect and learn with your girls!! Priceless and will only grow more so throughtout the coming years. Bravo!!!

Colleen said...

Great update! I am sure it is going to be an amazing, successful venture. What freedom!