Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Mini Chocolate Torta Caprese

Photobucket

Oh it's been such a wonderful vacation. Snow and sun, and lots of downtime. We're all feeling relaxed and renewed and ready for a new year. I did lots of cooking, reading, and playing over the Christmas break and this is one of my new favorite dessert recipes. My holiday menus are often a mix of the tried and true plus a few new dishes. I get bored with the same thing every year so I always tweak things a bit. Plus, I read way too many cookbooks so I'm always crafting menus in my head.

These were supposed to be our Christmas dessert, but I crashed after dinner (Christmas Eve was a late one for Mrs. Claus) and postponed dessert to the following day. The kids were already plenty sugared up as they had been devouring their stocking sweets throughout the day. We ate these warm with a little whipped cream and maybe salted caramel, but they are better cool and by themselves. At least I think so. They are so light and fluffy and delicious.

p.s. Darcie, they are gluten free :)

Photobucket


Mini Chocolate Torta Caprese
Recipe by: Lidia Bastianich of Felidia and Del Posto

Butter and flour for muffin pans
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
4 eggs, separated
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
1 cup almond flour


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour the pans. Beat the butter in a food mixer with 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg yolks, one at a time; beat well. Stir in chocolate and almond flour; combine well. Whisk the egg whites with the remaining sugar until very soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture. Ladle about 1/3 cup of batter into each pan. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before removing from pans. Makes 18 individual cakes.

1 comment:

the Geoff Davis said...

Yum Yum! These look delicious! Would you consider putting a label on your sidebar with your recipes? Sometimes I want to look up an old recipe I've seen on your blog but can't remember when you posted it! Pretty please?