Friday, January 7, 2011

chop chop

Sometimes I forget how much I love a good chopped salad. I won't call it a resolution, but one of my goals this year (and every year) is not to let fresh veggies go to waste. For some reason, my potatoes almost always sprout before I use them, so I've been making hash browns more often. The kids love them and I just shred them in the food processor. I pretty much eat greens most mornings with eggs and fruit so that has mostly cured the greens sticking around till past their prime, but often it's when I have one of this or that that the veggies end up in the compost bin. Luckily our veggies never go totally to waste because of the chickens. But anyway, I was reading the best of Cooks Illustrated this week and there was a write-up on chopped salads and that was just the inspiration I needed. I promptly got up, went to the fridge and made me a chopped salad with loner veggies that needed friends. The dressing is just red wine vinegar, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. I almost always have Niscoise olives in the fridge, but I struck out this time. The kids were happy no olives showed up, but they would have made this even more flavorful..for me, that is.

4 comments:

Amber Marie said...

yum!

Colleen said...

That looks delicious! I think I have many of those ingredients in my fridge right now...hmmm...post church lunch? Yes!

Erin said...

MMMM, I think I'll raid my vegetable bin too!

Dee Ann said...

Funny, I fixed a big salad with the same dressing but added some garlic and a pinch of sweetner to mine and then chopped cucumbers, olives, avocado, bell pepper, purple onion, tomatoes and left them on the chopping board for everyone to put in their tossed green lettuce. Leo went back for seconds and big seconds I must add. You don't feel full, just healthy with that kind of meal. I also fixed a great soup yesterday with kale, northern while beans, potatoes, onions and some italian sausage. I found the copy cat recipe called Zuppa Tuscana from a soup recipe that Larry likes at Olive Garden. Maked three quarts so we will definately have seconds and thirds....