Wednesday, January 19, 2011

funny check-up

This week we are getting all caught up on doctor and dentist visits. Rollin and Evan had their yearly check-ups with Dr. Candace today. Visits with Dr. Candace are so much different than the visits I had with the regular pediatrician when Sela was young...before I knew better :) Actually, I know there are great pediatricians, and mine was a kind, wonderful older and highly respected gentleman, but the overall experience doesn't hold a candle to the care we have now with our naturopath. When I see doctor visits on the calendar, rather than dread, I honestly look very forward to the visits. Everything about the experience is less sterile, more warm, and extremely personal. She blocks out an hour for each check-up and you do not feel rushed at all. There are no nurses. There is never a waiting room full of sick kids, and there is great reading material all around. She practices preventative medicine and saves the antibiotics for when it is really needed. I think we've filled two prescriptions in 9 years. She is great in a crisis and has been a huge help on the rare occasion the kids get sick enough to warrant a visit.I want to recommend her to everyone I know, but she is not accepting new patients.

The kids love all the questions about foods, favorites, their bodies, etc and I get a kick out of listening to their answers. Dr. Candace always asks the kids what they had for breakfast, what they ate yesterday for lunch and dinner, etc. Then we talk about their diets and see if they are getting what they need. When she asked Rollin what his favorite dinners were he said "brownies." Then she continued to probe and he said "Jo-Jo's." Pushed some more he said "Ice cream." And finally, with a nod to mom he said "ok, cauliflower." What a little rascal!

During Evan's visit, Dr. Candace was asking him to point to some body parts like eyes, ears, mouth, etc. All he wanted to do was suck his thumb. She said "I'm going to keep trying, Evie" and then Rollin piped up with "He knows where one body part is,  his dingy. He always plays with it!"  Nice. The funniest part was that I think deep down Rollin didn't like that his little brother wasn't able to answer the questions so he wanted to make sure he got some "credit." Anyway, we had a good laugh! And getting laughs is what Rollin is all about.




4 comments:

the Geoff Davis said...

I MISS DOCTOR CANDACE!

Amber Marie said...

what a wonderful visit! i SO WISH! we had dr's visits last week and i got literally physically ill that morning just thinking of going. there is so much explaining and i'm worried about what sick kids might be there etc...there are rarely any sickies- our dr is good about scheduling sick and well children at different times but still ugh, it is always a dreaded experience just like you said.

love those pics of rollin. what a ham :)

Erin said...

Ah, how I wish I had a "Candace!" We just don't do doctors unless it is an emergency. Jude has only been a couple of times in his almost three years of life and Naomi has never been...I'm kind of proud of that! Not that I am not WAY grateful for modern medicine but you understand ;)

Colleen said...

Hahahahahaha! I love that! The cauliflower and the dingy...hilarious!