Friday, January 29, 2010

sugar beast

This week Lori, Wendy, Lilian and I went to a PCC Cooking class called Taming the Sugar Beast. The teacher, Birgette, would be my personal chef in a perfect world. The class was great and it was geared towards keeping sugar cravings in check. I love anything this woman teaches, and her recipes are just so healthy and simple. I am going to post the recipes I liked the best as soon as I make them. It should be no surprise that the first recipe I tried to make at home was the Coconut Truffles. These things are delicious, insanely simple, and a very healthy treat alternative. Got the thumbs up from Sela and Nina. Not Rollin yet, but he'll come around.

Photobucket

Raw Coconut Truffles
1 cup raw walnuts or other nuts
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus 1/2 cup for rolling the truffles
1/4 cup raw agave syrup (she said raw agave is the best kind of agave)
1/4 cup organic virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup hemp protein powder
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of salt

Place the nuts and coconut in a food processor and process until finely ground. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth. Roll into truffles and roll in coconut. Refrigerate to firm them up.

Of course you can always make substitutions for different nuts, protein powder, agave, etc. This is a good guideline though. During the class she used a lot less sweetener than the recipe called for and they were still quite good.

4 comments:

Erin said...

um, yum!! Can't wait to indulge :)

the Geoff Davis said...

I love Birgette! I begged her to write a cookbook, and we even talked about her sending me her recipes to try out on my family and give her feedback. I bet you could volunteer for that assignment! I can't wait to try these little treats! Thanks for posting.

ashley said...

Darcie, I totally thought of you which is why I ran home and posted these! More to come...

the Geoff Davis said...

I finally got around to making these cookies with Adele today and they were a big hit at the Davis house! Thank you thank you for thinking of us!