Andra, you would be so proud. I have a huge soft place in my heart for him. If we were to lose him, well, I don't even want to go there. I almost get teary-eyed just thinking about how loyal he's been and how much I secretly hated having a dog for awhile. I hate to admit it, but I'm pretty sure I was actually wishing something might happen to him a year or so ago. Like he might run off and find a new home. But, things have certainly changed. Our relationship has evolved. Now I would be devastated if something were to happen to him. And if you know me, that's a big deal. I'm not a big animal lover. I'm an animal liker, but not too much love.
But there's love for this dog.

In the past six months, Kona has become the dog we all hoped he would be. He has mellowed tremendously. He willingly gets on his leash when kids come over to play. He follows our kids around the yard and watches over them. He's gentle with Evan. He doesn't even try to lick or sniff him when he's in the jogging stroller. He scares off animals like racoons that might hurt the chickens. He doesn't jump up on people anymore. He watches us walk to the bus and waits at the corner of our property for our return. He's always there, but not in an overbearing way. In more of a comforting way. I pet him more now, even if I know my hands will smell like dog and I'm in a hurry. He still does his business in the far back corner of our yard where no one ever goes. There is no stepping in poop in our yard, ever. Oh, thank you, Mr. Kona.
Last night as I was doing one final bedtime check on the girls, I looked outside their window and saw Kona laying a few feet from their bedroom window. He knows where the kids sleep and he watches over them during the night. When I saw him out there, as on so many nights before, I actually choked up. Trust me, that was quite a shock, even to myself. So, in short, we've come a LONG way.
Kona, you're a good dog.
4 comments:
Now that is a sweet, endearing story!! Kona has been my very own security alarm as I have been comforted in knowing he is outside when Zig is gone. An alarm system is good but a watch dog is better!! And Kona comes over as a bear in white!!! Who would want to confront that in the dark?! Thanks Kona!!
I almost had tears reading about Kona! I will never forget Mom calling me and telling me that Tinkerbell had died. I was at work and I lost it! Ended up leaving early as a matter of fact. There really is something so special about a dog and I think you nailed it...they are LOYAL and LOVING no matter what you do! I love that he sleeps by the kids rooms. :(
Don't watch "Marley and Me" again ;)
I'm still waiting for that feeling to come over me about Kipper...
I know just what you mean. Ruby and I have a love/irritation relationship too. We even have some friends who have another golden and offered to take her off our hands after Tommy was born, in a joking but not joking way, you know? But I couldn't even imagine not having her, even if she doesn't get the attention she really needs right now with the new babe. Dogs are so sweet! I am sure Kona is happy to have you too.
Post a Comment