Friday, July 17, 2009

Yep, I'm a pushover!

Meet Phoebe.
Queen Phoebe Glovin (a combination of the last names Glover and Serafin), that is.


The girls, along with Sophia and Emma, sold me hard on this little pet. They beat me down with their charm and it was hard to resist their the excitement and the longing in their bright little eyes. Not to mention, they were VERY persuasive and handled all my concerns quite well. They were good and it worked.

So we loaded everyone up and headed to Denny's Pet World...just to see, of course. I think each one of the girls had a little wad of cash in their pockets. So confident they were that they were bringing home a new pet.

They held several, closely examining the possibilities.

But in the end, it was unanimous, and we brought this little lady home. Sophia and Emma let us borrow their extra cage. They have two guinea pigs of their own. They've already had a playdate with little Phoebe, and all went well.

Rollin is rather fond of Phoebe, and so far very gentle with her.


Sophia showed us how guinea pigs like to swim in the tub...not mine, mind you!


The girls were totally stressing about Zig's reaction to this new addition. And with good reason. I had a pretty good idea of how he would respond. We've actually talked about a guinea pig before and it was vetoed. Something about the smell and his not being willing to take care (read: clean cage) of another animal right now. The girls wanted him to be happy about Phoebe more than anything though, and I knew they were very worried. I met him at the door when he got home and gave him a one minute briefing while the girls waited anxiously inside. I told him how excited the girls were and to please consider responding with an open mind, and if possible, don't say it looks like a rat when you first see it!

He was very sweet. They sat him right down when he came in, asked him what his least favorite animal is (he lied, a turtle), and then brought out thebig surprise. He smiled and said it was cute and then they asked if he would give it a chance and he said sure. So all is well. And Daddy is a hero and the girls are happy.


These kids don't ask for much and really the only things they ever want are ice cream cones and more pets. Maybe some new markers. And since they've promised me a hundred times that the cage will never stink, I've taken them at their word. You're only a kid once!


P.S. As we were checking out, the salesperson decided to throw this little tidbit my way..."You know, guinea pigs are very social. They do much better in pairs."

Good to know. So very good to know. Impeccable timing.

5 comments:

Amber Marie said...

Hahha. I so feel for Zig. Those things stink to high heaven. Good luck! :)

ashley said...

Trust me, I remember exactly what Ryan said about the ones he house-sat for!! The only reason I went ahead with it was that our neighbors have two and I could pretty much stand right next to the cage with my eyes closed and not even know there was an animal in the room. Their cage never smells. And their girls clean it once a week so I'm hoping for the same thing for us. They know what is required of them to keep this pet so we'll see how it goes!

Stacia said...

Wow...can't wait for the pony post:)
It does seem that the size of your animals are getting smaller as you go though. Can't wait to hear what's next:)

the Geoff Davis said...

You softie...you make me feel like a sack of nails...

Susan said...

I love pet store employees. They always try to get you to buy MORE and MORE pets! (i.e. our hermit crab that is still alive). I"m glad Zig was a good sport. Aubry takes some convincing too.