Saturday, November 26, 2011

Tough nut to crack...

We've got some huge macadamia nut trees in our yard. One of the first things the kids do when we drive in is start gathering nuts.

Photobucket Photobucket



















































































Unfortunately, the gathering is the easy part. We now understand why the nuts are so pricey. Cracking those little suckers is no picnic. Rollin gave it a valiant effort but the hammer he was wacking them with ended up crushing the insides....and I feared he might crush a finger at some point. The nuts are super slippery as well. We asked around at the Farmer's Market to see if we could get some info on how do this the right way and we were only told about an industrial cracker for $3000. Not really an option seeing as we aren't going into the nut business anytime soon. Later on in our stay when we were at Banana Joes grabbing some fruit, I saw some bags of unshelled macadamia nuts for sale. I asked again and the owner happened to have some really good nut crackers for sale. We bought one and Rollin was so eager to take a crack at it. And what do you know, it worked!! Best babysitter ever.















He won't let anyone eat the nuts that come out whole because he is saving them to dip in chocolate. Oh boy. How is it my kids  find a way to work a treat into everything?

2 comments:

the Geoff Davis said...

Endless fun photos of your Hawaiian adventures. How lucky to spend so much time outside! I loved the surfing pictures, and the gymnastic pictures are great too. It all looks so sunny and warm and wonderful.

Erin said...

Good to know! Now I won't get bugged when I have to pay $5 for a tiny jar!