Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Peas & Potatoes

The garden is humming along keeping us quite busy. This is one of the reasons I haven't been blogging lately. That and the weather is pretty amazing right now. Definitely not the time to be sitting in front of a computer. In fact, I've sat down several times to blog and actually have a pretty big post in progress, but then I think of how I should really be picking the raspberries or attending to any number of other things beckoning my attention outside . There are definitely not enough hours in the day right now. But that's okay. However, I know the grandmothers are getting restless and anxious for some photos of their little lovelies, so here I sit on a gorgeous 70 degree sunny and breezy afternoon attempting a brief update.

A few weeks ago we had a big party with the leadership team from Zig's group. I was talking to someone about some of our gardening successes and failures (the party was outside so people were wandering around the garden). I mentioned how much work it was to grow and clean baby spinach and how it wasn't really worth it when you can get a huge, washed organic bag for $3 at Costco. Kale on the other hand, is a different story. I love that stuff and it stays so clean. Anyway, this man mentioned potatoes and said for how cheap they are, it seems like a waste to grow them as well. Probably true, but we do plant potatoes for several reasons. First, you can't get the variety at the grocery store that you can plant. Second, every time we have store bought potatoes sprout, Zig just buries them in the garden box where the potatoes go and they grow new potatoes. And finally, harvesting the potatoes is like a huge treasure hunt for the kids. Rollin spent a couple hours outside with Zig one night digging the potatoes up. He had a ball. So yea for potatoes!

Photobucket
Found another one!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Thank goodness we have a powerful hose to clean these guys up.
Photobucket
Proud of his spuds
Photobucket
Potato Leek Soup made with potatoes, garlic, and chives from the garden.

Photobucket
snap peas and snow peas
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Asian Chicken Salad w/ snap peas from the garden (the kids loved this one)

Last Saturday, Zig was doing some work on the computer in his office and I was sitting on our bed reading. Rollin came in asked Zig if he would come outside with him. I knew Zig was trying to crank an important email out, so I was preparing myself to join him if Zig couldn't at that moment. Then Zig asked Rollin what he wanted to do and he replied, "Dad, I just want to walk around the yard with you and look at plants and stuff."  It was the sweetest little interchange. And then I heard Zig get up from his chair and off they went. Rollin loves his Dad so much and I really love seeing them enjoying many of the same things. He looks up to Zig so much.

5 comments:

Colleen said...

So sweet! And so great that Zig captured the importance of the moment. Your garden is beautiful, I love those purple potatoes! And those dishes look delicious...recipes????

Dee Ann said...

Brings back memories when you, Brant, Erin and Ryan were out picking produce from the garden!! It truly is a wonderful way of life - not to mention the health aspect of it all. Not all kids can express themselves like little Rollin and then to have a sensitive and accommodating Dad to take him up on his most heartfelt desire will have lasting affects for good. The simple things truly are the most cherished by children. Just a stroll in the yard - how sweet and special!! Zig always has taken the time to communicate with the kids. Love to all, Mom

Susan said...

I'm so jealous. Aubry and I are going to start juicing our own fruits and veggies and keep saying we wish we had a garden! The kids are getting so big! MIss y'all!!!

Amber Marie said...

that asian salad looks SOOOOOOOOO good. the potatoes looks yummy, that would be my food of choice if i had to pick one thing to take with me to a deserted island. i mean really, think of ALL the things you can make with potatoes!! :)

Jimmy and Jennifer said...

Okay, Ashley, I'm with Colleen... Recipes? The Asian Salad looks so good! Texas is unforgivingly hot right now, and I'm closing in on 20wks pregnant with Baby Boy #3. The 101-degree weather makes even ordinary food feel, well, hot. But a nice cool, crunchy salad...I could muster the effort in the kitchen for that! Do share, my friend!