There is a big huckleberry bush right outside the boys' window. As I was putting Evan down for a nap last week I noticed it was loaded with little red berries. We decided it might be fun to see what we could make with the huckleberries. Sela and I got out a few cookbooks and looked for huckleberry recipes. We settled on Huckleberry Buckle from
Rustic Fruit Desserts, one of my absolute favorite cookbooks, especially when using less common fruits. The recipe called for 2 1/2 cups of berries, which is a lot. It takes a long time to pick that many berries because they are so tiny. I sent the kids out with little measuring cups to fill. On the first day we got about 3/4 cup, the second day Nina found another tree in the very back of our property and got 1 full cup, and Rollin and Sela finished us off this weekend with the final 3/4 cup. This was truly a combined effort which made it all the sweeter when we finally got to enjoy our dessert together on Sunday evening. We worked on this thing from Tuesday-Sunday! And man was it worth it. Such a special dessert. Beautiful to look at, moist, slightly tart with just enough sweetness.
I wish I would have taken a picture of the inside...it looked like polka-dotted bread!
This dessert was so good, we decided it might be worth going on a hike and doing a little more foraging to round up some more berries!
No comments:
Post a Comment