Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tennis Animals

I'm playing catch-up a bit...

Sela and Nina are participating in the Jet League at Gold Creek this summer. They practice all week and then play other clubs on Fridays. Nina is working so hard at getting her serves down. She's still so tiny so it takes every ounce of strength. She gets discouraged about that sometimes, but she is very determined. She won her first service game a few weeks ago and she was so excited.

Sela also had a great week at the University of Washington tennis camp. She went with the Banks kids and Jack Messmer. What a fun group! I think this might become a tradition with these kids. Nina will go next year, but she definitely enjoyed the car rides. And that's all I'll say about that :)

Photobucket

Photobucket
Hunter and Sela getting ready for Around the World. I used to love that game!
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Awards at the end of the week.
Photobucket
It's hard to take photos at tennis matches when they're playing. It never feels the time is right. The girls had a match today at Central Park. Sela did awesome in singles and Nina had a close doubles match.
Photobucket

Photobucket
goofball
Photobucket
This match killed me...it was the semi-finals in a tournament on Mercer Island. Sela played the best I've seen her play (by far), and came up short at the end. She held it together till we got to the car, and then the tears flowed. It's one thing to get blown out, but close matches are really tough losses to handle, especially when you're young. I knew she was going to be crushed. I've been there. I was really so proud of her and her opponent did end up winning the tournament. I tried to just let her be sad for awhile, and then we talked about how lucky she is to have a body that even allows her to play tennis and run around, and how when you've done your best, there is nothing more you can do. Just move on. Then we went to Red Mango, and all was right in the world again.

I don't know about this watching tennis stuff though...it's tough.

Photobucket
Nina and her friend Audrey.

I've actually managed to play quite a bit of tennis myself this summer. Some days even more than once. I'm subbing in this group that has matches at 6:30am. It's such a good feeling to come out at 8 having played an hour and a half already. I also play late at night which works out great. Both hardly interfere with anything we have going on and on both ends the kids are usually in bed. I did get totally screwed by the USTA board and my rating was changed to a 5.0. This means I pretty much won't be able to play USTA League play from here on out since there are so few 5.0 players around here, and none at our club. I may petition to try and drop down to a 4.5, but who knows, I don't totally understand the procedure for determining ratings.  I do know there is still plenty of great competition at 4.5 and that's where I'd like to be. We'll see.

4 comments:

Dee Ann said...

Ohhh, I know what you mean about watching those close tennis matches. Tennis is sooo individual and I think that is what makes it soooo difficult. It is easier to lose yourself than watch your child lose. Great life learning experiences however. Prepares one for real life!! I am happy that you are all playing tennis because it is a great family sport along with the biking!!

Colleen said...

The girls look great! Tennis is such a fun sport. I know just what you mean though. I feel similarly when the kids have rough games in soccer or basketball. But it's the hardest when it's Ben and running. I think because it's individual and so all the pressure is just on the one instead of a team. But that's part of life, right?!

Erin said...

Fun!!!! We've been playing once a week since we've been back, but we are a long ways away from matches! I can't wait though!!

Erin said...

Forget the 5.0 ranking and just go pro ;)