But then came Thursday. The sun beamed in my window as I was waking up. I think I said a prayer of gratitude right there half asleep under the covers. The skies were clear. I loaded up the jogging stroller and Rollin's bike and as soon as we dropped the girls off at the bus, we headed to the trail. We rode to Bothell, a fun route Lisa and I took last week. I promised Rollin we could feed the ducks, stop by Hillcrest bakery which is right off the trail in downtown Bothell, and hit the park on our way back. We had a great time and I all but forgot about how miserable I had felt on Wednesday. I was living in paradise again. The air was sweetly scented with all the fragrant lilacs, the birds were singing, the baby ducks and geese are waddling all over the place, and people were cheerful.
Friday was more of the same. So warm that Rollin and Nina put their bathing suits on to have a water balloon fight. Evan played in the dirt and practiced navigating the stairs on the patio. We sat in the rocker together and picked all sorts of bouquets for the house. The windows were open and we enjoyed coconut sorbet for a snack and fish tacos for dinner.
So the sunny weather is much like a new baby. Just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore, my miracle arrived. I can handle so much more when the sun is shining. And my feelings of despair on Wednesday are all but forgotten. Stop the moving truck. Spring is back from its weeklong vacation and not a moment too soon!







3 comments:
I remember those desperate feelings there, Ash. It is amazing the burden that is lifted when the sun shines after being absent for so long! I'm so happy for your sunny few days!
ah, well you know where you can ALWAYS, always, always find the freakin sun!
Love the new work out room. i'm expecting big muscles next time i see you all :)
Hey there, friend! Next time you've got the overcast blues, give me a call and we'll do a house swap. Summer (not spring, we don't have that here) is already settling in down here and it is HOT. Like 96, 97, sweat-on-the-way-across-the-parking-lot hot. As we were leaving church this morning I said to Jimmy, "Seriously, why do we live here?" And I was honest to goodness thinking about Seattle, where we escaped the hot days of May in Texas as we honeymooned 10 years ago. People up there kept apologizing for the rainy, overcast days. We reveled in them. Back in Texas, we were rationing water! Anyway, I guess I should be more grateful for the abundance of sunny-ness. By the way, do your mom and dad still live here? I was flipping through the book of people that have signed up to be on our mailing list for antique roses, and there's a Dee Ann Wilson in McAllen. Any connection? Hope the sun keeps shining for you up there! -Jenn
Post a Comment