Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tennis

One of my goals this year was to get back on the tennis court. It's not like it's a chore, I love the game, but for whatever reason, I haven't found something that works for me since we've been in Washington. And there's always that nursing baby. I got a taste of league play in college and it was interesting...right Erin? Lots of has-beens taking things way to serious! But it was fun, and a little competition is good.

Well, the year is winding down so I figured now or never. I worked with the kids all summer, and now Sela and Nina are taking lessons and I think they're getting hooked (which was the plan). But it's October, and I haven't done anything tennis related for myself, other than serve one bucket of balls last week. So on Saturday after watching Sela's lesson, I just went in and signed up for a clinic on Tuesday nights. The only description on the paperwork was "advanced." And if I'm not advanced by now then something's seriously wrong.

Well I showed up tonight not expecting much of a workout...even wore my running shoes because I was in too much of a hurry to find my tennis shoes. I walked over to the court and started to wonder if I had the wrong night. Which happens more than I'd like to admit lately. Anyway, it turns out the class is me and three middle aged men. Now, I'm a base-liner and a singles player. And my guess is most of these guys play doubles and like to serve and volley. So it was like playing against my Dad. We even did a slice drill. I don't usually slice my backhand so that was interesting to say the least. I was rusty but it was very fun and a great workout. We ran a lot doing drills. The guys were very nice and funny and welcoming. We all won our fair share of points. I wanted to win more, of course! But it will come. I wish I had someone to just hit with a couple of times so I could find my rhythm again. But this is a start and I thoroughly enjoyed it! (And I did ace the coach once...hee hee)

4 comments:

the Geoff Davis said...

I remember 4 months after Nina was born you were out of shape and challenged to play Matt Romney, a total athlete. You whooped him. Your new coach better watch out or he may lose his job...

Colleen said...

Awesome! It is important to have things for "you" time too, especially with Zig in San Fran so much! I am glad you are getting back to something you love.

Dee Ann said...

I had to chuckle at the last comment. You still have that killer instinct when competition enters the scenario!! A little interesting, to say the least, to have men only and you!!! Maybe there is a ladies' league during the day?! No?

ashley said...

There is a ladies group, but I am not comfortable leaving Evan in childcare right now. It's not worth a sick baby. And the guys were just like dad. Very nice.