
The flu seem is all around us. We never get flu shots and definitely won't this year. Ick!
But I'm sure someone will get sick. With Zig on planes every week, Rollin in preschool, and Sela and Nina in classrooms full of kids, it's unlikely we will make it through the season unscathed. Mom and I have had lots of chats about the advice we've gleaned from naturopathic doctors and I finally got around to stocking my non-existent (until now) medicine shelf. I'm the girl who has to send Zig to borrow advil from neighbors in a pinch. haha.
We are cutting back on sugar as much as possible. Eating lots of healthy fruits and veggies. An apple a day...thank goodness the honey crisps are in season right now! And keeping super warm (Erin's advice). But I wanted to be better prepared this year to shorten the duration of any bug as much as possible. Most natural treatments are most effective when started at the earliest onset of any symptoms. I didn't want to be running out to the store with a sick child or late at night so I am being a bit more pro-active now than in past years.
I've been researching and reading all about natural flu treatments over the past few weeks. I checked out the Bastyr website and got their recommendations as well as other sites that focus on prevention and natural medicine. Finally I spent some time with a woman at PCC who knows her stuff and now I have a little game plan for our family.
Here is our plan. Mostly for me to refer back to next year.
1) Vitamin C in the form of chewable vitamins and fizzy drinks. As much as we can tolerate.
2) Vitamin D
3) Pro-Biotics in the form of chewables along with Kefir each morning.
4) Elderberry with Echinacea and Astragulus
5) Fish Oils
6) Tons of herbal tea! Yum!
* I will try to sneak the garlic capsules into smoothies and juice since my first attempt at getting the kids to swallow the pills resulted in dramatics that included gagging and falling on the floor. Wimps.
The kids love all the other vitamins so they enjoy their new morning ritual. I also bought a natural treatment for the flu if/when we get it. So now I feel prepared. I hope we don't get it. All of the preventative measures are great for our bodies either way.
And most important. GOOD Food. Good thing this part I enjoy.
I made a huge pot of chicken noodle soup this afternoon. Lots of veggies. Celery, carrots, garlic, kale, brown rice, corn, and a medley of herbs from the garden. The kids slurped it up. I love those meals where no coaxing is needed.
And I tried out a new recipe for warm red cabbage salad that was INCREDIBLE. Seriously, if you like cabbage or even if you don't. It's a must try. A keeper forever and ever. I'm making it again tomorrow since one of the last things we have left in the garden is lots of little red cabbage heads. Thank you 101 Cookbooks. Again.

Tassajara Warm Red Cabbage Salad Recipe - 101 Cookbooks
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 teaspoon natural cane sugar (or brown sugar)
fine grain sea salt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 red onion, diced
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 pound head of red cabbage or radicchio, quartered and cut into thin ribbons
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
2 ounces golden raisins (or other plump, chopped dried fruit)
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
a bit of freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to garnish
Roast the sunflower seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat until golden brown. Sprinkle on the sugar, and a couple pinches of salt. Stir until the sugar melts and coats the seeds (you pan will need to be hot enough). Transfer the seeds immediately to a plate so they don't stick to the pan. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and saute the onion for a minutes or two with a couple pinches of salt. Stir in the garlic, and the cabbage, and a few more pinches of salt. Stir and cook for just a minute or so, or until the cabbage softens up just a touch. Then stir in the rosemary, most of the raisins, and the vinegar. The cabbage will continue to get more and more tender even after you remove it from the heat, so keep that in mind, and do your best to avoid overcooking it - where it collapses entirely. Fold in half of the feta cheese, most of the sunflower seeds, then taste. Season with more salt if needed. Serve garnished with the remaining raisins, feta, sunflower seeds and Parmesan cheese.
Serves 4 to 6.
This recipe was adapted from The Complete Tassajara Cookbook by Edward Espe Brown. Published by Shambhala (September 8, 2009)
12 comments:
Monday I thought to myself, "I'm so glad we rarely get sick...why, we might just make it through this flu season unscathed!" Wednesday Adele and Ceci woke up with nasty fevers. All of my prevention couldn't keep this bug away! So, what is the natural thing AFTER one has the flu? Will you please post your knowledge on this, or at least email me soon?! Thank you PCC correspondent. :)
We swear by the sambuca! I have used that for years. I think it has already saved me this month. Your slaw looks divine. I will have to make soon!
Darcie, Hylands Complete Flu Care for Kids.
One more thing, Darcie. Keep going with the Sambuca, maybe bump it up a bit. Amber did that with Camilla and she was only down for a couple of days and it was mild.
good job stocking up. it is definitely one of those things that needs to be recognized as soon as symptoms start. i hadn't thought of the vitD. I'm going to get camilla on a ritual to prepare for our 7 hour travel day coming up in a couple weeks. i hate airplanes. yuck!
p.s. i almost have talked ryan into moving to the west coast...almost :)
Ashley, your vitamin pantry looks just like mine! Cod liver oil, elderberry, vitamin D, A, C, probiotics... you name it! Benjy always thinks that I go a bit overboard, but with this flu lingering around and being pregnant I am taking no chances! SO, here is my question for you. Do your kids always eat all the vegetables that you cook up? I have a hard time getting them to eat a variety of vegetables. Smoothies are a daily drink because I can get so many good things into them, but cabbage salad????!!! My little ELizabeth would say 'no' before she even tried it. SHe is quite picky! She can pick out the red potato skins in our mashed potatoes and will not eat the fresh blueberries in our ww pancakes! Christine Vincent from Benjy Vincent
Christine...are you still on facebook? If not, can you send me your email address. Or do you have a blog by chance? Your baby must be do so soon!
Wow Ashley I'm going to have to stock my shelves with your great suggestions. Dillon's class has been down to 10 kids the past few days so we're crossing our fingers we make it threw the weekend. I may need to hit up PCC in the morning.
Thanks
I'm off of facebook for a bit. I will post though once our baby is born. It should be soon! The due date is Oct 28 and labor signs are slowly showing. My e-mail is chrisvin100@hotmail.com.
Okay, so I just googled Sambuca...pretty sure you don't give your kids alcohol. What is it and where do you find it?
Just looked at the picture on your post again and noticed the SAMBUCUS. I will look for that brand.
Shenise, the important ingredient is Elderberry if you can't find the brand.
Post a Comment